roseli

Affordable alternative to plain cement on backyard patio

Lila
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

We put plain cement in our backyard patio but I dont like how it looks. Adding a deck is not an option (we dont really like it) and putting tiles would be too expensive. I am thinking about putting some dark blue coloured paint (proper cement paint obviously) but not sure if this is the best solution. Is there anything you can think of that we could use/install so we dont have this ugly looking patio which is not too pricey? We have this around the entire house. Adde a photo of the alfresco too so you can see the tile's colour.

Thanks

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• Kate
    3 years ago

You could paint it, and this looks great when fresh, but it will need maintenance. I would start on the garden and painting the brick wall a nicer colour. Add some big planter boxers onto the concrete and more layering in the beds and let it mature. The little kids will love riding on the concrete and doing chalk drawings etc. you could paint some games like hopscotch and 4 square. Don’t rush. Garden first

Lila thanked Kate
  • Lila
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate, what colour would you suggest? Not sure I understand when you say 'garden first'

• Mandy
    3 years ago

You can resurface concrete so it looks like exposed aggregate. Don’t have any personal experience with the process, but it might be worth considering. Search for concrete resurfacing in your area. Here is one example:

https://stonecrete.com.au

Lila thanked Mandy
  • julie herbert
    3 years ago

As Kate said painting is an option, I know you said you didn’t like decking but it could look fabulous in the area you have, tiles or boards would be easy to install. But painting is your cheapest option but needs ongoing maintenance to keep it looking good.

Lila thanked julie herbert
  • Lila
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OMG this would look fabulous! If only I had the ca$h. Thanks Julie

• Lila
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe I could do just the 'square' area between the alfresco and that wall? and paing the rest?

• Michelle Murphy
    3 years ago

Maybe you could paint the concrete, and use a tile stencil with a contrasting colour to paint a "rug" in that square area? If you google stencil concrete rug, there's loads of lovely examples, and tutorials. It's time consuming, but cheap.
    From my experience with tile paint: don't skimp on preparing the concrete, otherwise it peels. Also dark colours get very hot, which is a problem with kids. I'd maybe match your grout colour.