nicolette_woodfield

renovate or detonate help! 3 bed . 1 bath original 1960’s cottage

Nicolette Ridley
2 months ago

Hi all
I love this site it’s just such a big help so thanks in advance! I have bought a house on the Gold Coast that is original and old - 1960’s cottage. The layout is ok I think and good condition inside - flooring and walls, ceilings are ornate and well kept etc.

My question is this - I need to turn the 3 bedroom home into a 4 bedroom which will be the master with ensuite. I need to have a new kitchen and Reno the existing bathroom. I would love to add a little butlers pantry and a decent laundry too. The laundry currently is a step down and an add on to the existing house.

I want to keep the roofline as I know that saves money and out the back add a new structure consisting of my butlers pantry, laundry and master retreat. I would also like an added “hang out” space or reading room in this area too.

There is a decent sized patio at the front of the house which is under the existing roof line which I could keep and turn into a bigger living space at the front.

I also need a nice Queenslander style wraparound deck on the front of the home maybe extending to one side. Also house painting inside and out.

Then a pool I think at front although it’s a funny corner block so it faces both south, west and a bit east! There is more room at front for the Pool so I thought it may fit a bit easier. I will then need a new wooden/ brick fence for privacy.

I have some plans of the house attached - just the real estate ones and I would love some advice or recommendations. My budget for the entire project is around $350-$400k max! Inc some basic landscaping I guess ! Would someone be so kind as to guide me on this! The area is amazing in a leafy well established area and I’d like to make the hone modern yet coastal or colonial classical on a budget !

Thanks

• bigreader
    2 months ago

I’ve old houses BUT that is one of the most awkward blocks I’ve ever seen.
    I would obtain quotes for a rebuild and seriously consider a knockdown rebuild that would enable you to have better orientation on the block.

• Chris
    2 months ago

Hi Nicolette, congratulations on you purchase. Looks like a classic case to raise and build in under. If all is in good condition as you say demolish Laundry extension. Existing Kitchen/Dining/Patio becomes 2 bedrooms and use the small bedroom as wir/ensuite to service Master, bathroom gets reworked in same location. Living are incorporates a stair and becomes a hang out space or reading area/study desk. Downstairs is a clean slate for Kitchen with Butlers Pantry/Dining/Living/Entry/Laundry and whatever else you require (Guest Bed? Office? Media Room?) can even remove external garage (or keep it as storage or pool house) and get double garaged attached to house if you need. you keep the same yard space by not extending into it. Hard to say what else without photos from all angles but you look like you have a nice little project to keep you busy

• pottsy99
    2 months ago

People get attached to houses , I do . It looks a nice , good solid house .

BUT detach yourself a bit , maybe even do a list of positives and negatives , even gic=ving each a score out of 10 . Just for me , on my scale , I like a pool to be private , I like a curcular drive , and then theres council regs about pool fencing . So a pool in front would be a -9 for me .

Likewise , spending $400k on that house on that site would also be a negative too , probably a -4 or -5 . If this was a $2million neighbourhood , and you spent $1 million and got something amazing , and you had the budget , then maybe it would be a positive . Likewise , a $100k renovation may also be a positive .

But if you had a $1million to spend , you may as well restart from scratch , get the room sizes and placement and windows and colours and the pool in the perfect spot and the garage exactly where you want . . . . . . . . . .

Again , detaching myself , I'd go and look at open homes in your area , especially ones that are $400k dearer than you suspect yours is worth . Do they have the wow factor , or are they not much better than yours , and probably worse than you hope yours will be ?

Basically , are you getting extra value for money ? Generally if you are spending in the mid $100's on an older house with compromises already 'built-in' , you'll increase the problems but not the resale by that amount .

• macyjean
    2 months ago

Have you had an asbestos assessment done and how far do you want to go with removing it? Asbestos sheeting is safe if undisturbed but a major renovation is a good opportunity to remove it so that it is never a problem down the track however it could add a bit to your costs so at what point is it safer and more cost effective to demolish and start from scratch, improving the orientation while you're at it as bigreader said, though with the unusually shaped block you might be looking at a more expensive custom build.

• oklouise
    2 months ago

the block of land may be an unusual shape and needs a careful survey to identify precise shape and distance of buildings from all boundaries but it's a very generous size compared to new subdivisions and my suggestion includes a master suite at the front, reorganised family bathroom and kitchen and rebuilding the laundry and new pantry at house floor level with a generous rear deck alfresco overlooking a pool in the back yard (and maybe the old garage could be converted to a rumpus/pool room with a new double garage at the front?) and the new front verandah wraps across the front and around the side to allow for a skillion roofed verandah, entry porch, ens and wiw with hip roof over most of the new master bedroom but likely the old tiled roof and extensions could be replaced with steel

• Nicolette Ridley
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh wow aren’t you so very kind ! Thank you so much for the drawing! It’s a grand idea! Love it! Everyone has been so helpful I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it! I think this plan seems feasible and possibly not too expensive or as much as I initially thought ? Would love to know how much anyone thinks it may cost ? I love the pool out the back idea as it’s facing north too which is a bonus and privacy is important in pools! Thank you so much again I’m going to study this :)

• Nicolette Ridley
    Original Author
    2 months ago

So clever ! Can’t stop smiling ! Should I make the extension look similar or different on purpose so it is a feature do you think or original style ? The roof tiles are terracotta but very dirty and full of moss I think so a replacement would be good but maybe costly? Oh thanks so much!

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

have you considered selling the house as is and moving a queenslander onto the site if you like that style? they can be around 100k. and you could sell that house for a bit. you might find one with the layout you like. it's a tight block, so an up and under reno might be the only way to fit it all in.

• Nicolette Ridley
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes the block is odd. It’s in a great and very expensive area though and the current hone does look strange where it is! However the area is established and leafy with some character filled homes with some mid century classics thrown in . Love the area and that could be an option for sure. I had never thought of that. I didn’t realise it would be possible to remove the house either without demolishing it! Thanks! I’ll check it out. Only thing is they will need a Reno too no doubt ?

• oklouise
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

first task would be to organise a survey including precise location of existing buildings so you can be sure of the exact amount of space available ... the block is so much bigger than you realise and you should ask local council about precise set backs needed from all boundaries for your specific block (not standard setbacks for the average rectangular block) and, depending on long term goals and the number of people who will need to live in the house immediately, you could renovate in stages eg internal reno with new kitchen and bathroom, new laundry pantry and rear deck, new master suite and front verandahs, clean roof tiles and convert old garage to rumpus, add pool then new double garage....the new master suite, garages and front verandah should create a vintage look with simple skillion roof, wall cladding and the bigger front porch something like this

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

Nicolette you'd be suprised actually... sometimes houses have been all done up for sale but then the place is bought by developers and they don't need the house. typically the house price includes restumping on steel piers at a low height, asbestos removal, and transport within 100ks. houses are usually priced on condition and size, so if the house is large it might need to be cut up and moved in sections... they then 'stick' it back together. the last link has lots of larger farmhouses that are triple lifts so would be moved in 3 trips. the price will also change depending on access to your site too. I've put some examples... one is in amazing condition and all done up, the other is rather 'rustic'!
    https://www.houseremovals.com.au/
    http://davidwright.com.au/
    https://www.dalbyremovalhomes.com.au/houses-for-sale/

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

ah... my photos are out of order. the fancy kitchen is from the fancy house okay? the last one is just a typical mid-range one. the top like a total bottom of the range. but if you have a particular taste then often getting one in fairly original condition is better, its just a beautiful timber shell you can add the bells and whistles to. the timber always comes up beautifully once painted, and they house will be all level once restumped.

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

oh and I really love that first house removal company mackay and sons... they have a virtual 3d tour of each house, it's like using google streetview and you can wander around inside it.

• Nicolette Ridley
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh thanks so much! I like the blue one.. it looks gorgeous. I’ll have a look online - are there prices on their also? However yes you can always do them up :)

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

oh yes they all have prices and usually state the inclusions their company give. the blue one is listed for above $150k. but they would have to quote depending on where you are and how far from the house. the closer to you the better!

• fianou luca
    2 months ago

if you want to have it stumped up high and use the space under for a new build that could suit you, they'd just need to adjust the price for the extra steel. as you have a tight block you might find a smaller qlder raised up with a modern open plan living/dining/kitchen under could look good and fit more easily. or you might want to use underneath for parking?