webuser_976859233

So are done with black taps?

Daniel S
3 years ago

As the title says? lol

Are we done with it or can we see this being a long term thing?

Im stuck in the middle of going brushed nickel vs black!

Comments (20)

• User
    3 years ago

I look at everything , it seems , from a different viewpoint .

Firstly , you only do things because they are trendy ?

I look at an overall concept , then the individual room , then what you are wanting to achieve . I've seen black that looks crap , chrome that doesn't suit , nickel that clashes , white that sickens , gold that looks hopelessly out of place . And examples of every single one of those that fits a room/concept really well .

And sometimes , what I don't like , others agree , while still others love or say how on trend it is .

Go with what YOU like IMO .

• bigreader
    3 years ago

I’m still seeing black taps in lots of pics but none in the high end home magazines if that’s of concern to you. I never really liked them so brushed nickel or brass as alternatives to chrome get my vote. But have what you love.

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

not so much the highend or not, more the after living with it for 3-4 years it ages poorly. Anything that really stands out alot seems to just not age well, brushed nickel seemed to stay low key but different then chrome?

• PRO
    Fontaine Industries
    3 years ago

I would consider black tapware to be a trend that is around to stay. It offers a lot of versatility and suits almost any style of modern bathroom. However, brushed Nickel is very subtle so has the potential to last longer trend wise and also pairs well with other matt finishes. I think you can't go wrong with either.

If you're unsure, check out our new Rosa range that has various finishes of the same product.

https://fontaineind.com.au/rosa-basin-mixer-tap-tall

Good luck!

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

Yep, they were on-trend, and will look tired and dated in ten years time. Unless you are the type of person who can afford to renovate their bathrooms every ten years, then avoid current fads and fashions, and think timeless and classic. A lot of the interior business is run like the fashion business, there will always be fads that come and go, as the suppliers can charge a premium for the latest fashion, and use their marketing dollar to impose the latest fashion on the consumer.

I regularly see the apricot bathrooms of the 1980s, which were fashionable at the time, but are now being ripped out as that fashion has dated badly, in many of my client's homes. Often they are still perfectly functional. If they had made some timeless and classic aesthetic choices back then their bathrooms wouldn't be going to landfill....

In my opinion black tapware and door handles will be heading the same way as the brown toilet.

Best of luck with your considerations, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits.

• louisa247
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It’s true fashions change with everything. People evolve and want to see different things. I’m sure the shops wouldnt stock 12 versions if people all stuck to the same thing forever. But this doesn’t mean you have to pick something “vanilla” to try to save it from dating. Everything dates even chrome taps or a white toilet, you can’t escape it ! As long as what you choose suits the home and is cohesive with the rest of the home, I think you can create a look with personality even if it dates if its well put together it will still have appeal for many years I think, good luck !

• User
    3 years ago

Off subject , but I love Dr Retros brown toilet pic -- you would never need to clean it hahaha !

• PRO
    Tailored Space Interiors - Interior Design
    3 years ago

I definitely think it was a phase. Black tap ware, sinks & cabinetry are just not as durable as the other options out there. But like it was said earlier... if you love it, get it :)

• C P
    3 years ago

I think black taps are no longer as fashionable but they aren't hideous like that Brown toilet. Black is never really going to date. Also it's not just colours but finishes. Shiny finishes are very out currently whereas matte finishes are not (whether that's for cupboard profiles or hardware).
    I think the current bathroom trend for terracotta tiles, arched mirrors and rendered walls is going to date quicker than black taps (and my prediction is that every bathroom on the Block will embrace this style of bathroom).
    we're circling through trends at a faster rate now than in previous decades because of shows like The Block and social media with all the associated sponsored posts designed to sell us more shit.
    Decide what look you like and don't ever assume it won't date just make sure it will serve your needs. I think people can get really pompous and describe their style as "classic" and rabbit on about how they pool timeless choices. Maybe in their living rooms but you'll always be able to date their bathroom. And that's OK.
    Sorry that's rather a soapbox response (and yes maybe there is an unintentional pun there).

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No thats totally fine. You are certainly right about speed of on “trend” changes. I find what can look good or catch ur eye doesnt mean its liveable day to day either. 100% matt is in gloss is out, i mostly just dont personally like gloss as it shows dirt! 3-4 years ago when the wood floors went in it was satin / matt so it hides scratches! what is classic? lol

• me me
    3 years ago

If you look through old decorating magazines from, say, ten years ago, you will get an idea of the things that might date.

• C P
    3 years ago

cathode ray tvs!

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

they will make a come back im sure!

• User
    3 years ago

They never went out of style .

• Sam Ashford
    3 years ago

Top Finishes for 2021:

10. Rustic Brass

9. Chrome Plate

8. Pewter

7. Satin Chrome

6. Satin Brass

5. Graphite Nickel

4. Matt Black

3. Satin Stainless Steel

2. Two-Toned

1. Brushed Nickel

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

is 10 least popular and 1 most popular?

• bigreader
    3 years ago

Funny that my favs are number 1 and number 10.

• Anne Monsour
    3 years ago

Where is brushed gold ? It might go well with the giant brown toilet which , fortunately , I have never had to use .

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    3 years ago

Black can look good dependant on the style, I personally think its the style that goes out rather than the colour i.e corner baths and showers, I cant stand them and they look so dated but use to be the "IN" thing. Like orange shiny wood walls with shag carpet, some things you just know wont stick around. As for this year apparently its about the warm, weathered metals. Apparently shiny metals and chrome are on the out too.