3 years ago

how do I fit it all in?

Comments (13)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

What do you want to fit in the room?

where is the entrance to room?

is there existing plumbing?

without the above information, here is a simple configuration.

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much - the only thing that is in position is the toilet which is where you’ve placed it. The only issue is that it’s in a small house and opens off the lounge room. All family and friends are appalled at having a toilet directly off the lounge. Do you have any thoughts on screening the toilet?

• Kate
    3 years ago

I would put full height opaque shower screens in with sliding doors. Then add a barn door across the opening. Can you post a floor plan for your house.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Sorry Danielle, but without a sketch of your bathroom and home, there is not enough information to answer questions.

Do you have a sketch or plan that you can add to your post?

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is before on the right and after so far on the left. It’s an old milkbar mid century style.

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Excuse my pathetic drawing. We intend to slightly shift the toilet to be perpendicular to where it is now. The arrows beside and underneath the proposed bathroom indicate potential sliding barn doors. My preference would be from the narrow side but I simple can’t think of a way to do that and have a toilet, shower and vanity included. Any ideas of how to screen to toilet- gratefully received

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Have you actually done the changes, or is it still in the planning stage?

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So Kate your suggestion of opaque sliding doors is for the toilet alcove? That had been my thought too. Not fussed about opaque or not - just trying to create an (odor) airlock from the lounge

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dreamer it’s still in the planning stage. It settles on Tuesday. The existing bathroom/laundry is north facing so we want to turn that into kitchen/dining with doors in place of the window. The lounge area has half height walls anyway so we will turn that into a second bedroom and convert kitchen/dining to lounge.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Okay, sorry crossed over on the previous post.

something like this may work. But definitely not ideal.

hinged door on narrow end with vanity, then glass shower screen with full height tiled wall, through into shower recess, then full height tiled wall with glass door into toilet area.

the problem is a wet floor to get to toilet. i suppose just make sure your shower floor is dry before inviting your friends over.

That is better than having your ablution in your lounge room.

can you convert the storage area into a bathroom with separate toilet?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

if budget allows, then ideally the toilet needs moving, you could then have a well laid out bathroom, without any issues. As these photos show. In your situation have shower toilet and vanity on the kitchen wall, but this shows the correct design for space. It needs to be correct, not a compromise. It is a well used room.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

it's a mistake to consider the bathroom without planning the whole building at the same time specially with such unusual shapes and sizes...what is the long term plan for the building, what are the walls floors and roof built out of, where do the doors open to, are there adjoining buildings or any garden or driveway space, what is the carport and storage area built out of and what is the distance to all boundaries ...a site plan and some photos will help but dimensions are inconstant so we also need an accurate plan with dimensions of all available spaces including location and size of all windows, doors and plumbing more information is essential to make realistic suggestions

• Danielle Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You’re correct of course. We have short and long time plans but just want to make it liveable in the short term doing what we can within the existing footprint.

The house was purchased to be a laid back beachside hangout, however my daughter in law may get a new job in the town so she and my son may move in there.

The building is an ex milkbar on a triangular shaped allotment subdivided from the main house made of brick and rendered brick. The rear room and storage area are concrete block construction. The whole building is on a concrete slab so we plan to polish the concrete throughout accept for existing carpet in bedroom and current lounge. Maybe some tiles in the bathroom.

The eastern boundary can’t be altered as that is the sideway access so the odd shapes on that side need to stay as is.

There is a driveway in front of the carport and storage area. There’s asbestos sheet on the eastern wall of the carport concreted into the ground so that needs to be safely dealt with before any change there.

The western wall of the carport is attached to the main house and is the title boundary. So any construction there will require a second wall.

We have secured a fabulous second hand kitchen for $900 (with many more cabinets than we need so have lots of options including for a vanity) which includes a Miele dishwasher, Blanco sink and quality cooktop, oven and granite bench tops.

The bench top includes a piece that can be easily trimmed for the odd angled corner in the back room.

After swapping the kitchen and bathroom positions as proposed in my draft plan, we figure then it can be lived in while the next phase is built outside. We propose to build a new room that would be a dining room adjacent to the triangle shaped kitchen. (Will remove the wall in between to complete) Between the new room and the carport we would add in a laundry and second toilet (or ensuite if we go for a third bedroom)

If we decide we need a third bedroom we could convert the carport for that purpose.

Given the property is only a 5 minute walk from the beach a second shower maybe best placed in the rear garden. We have also thought we may love a bathtub/spa to soak in the warm north facing courtyard so therefore don’t need one inside.

There’s water and sewer waste points outside the existing toilet and where the current vanity and laundry sink along the angled eastern wall. There’s also water and waste points in the carport adjacent to the current kitchen and in the storage area adjacent to the current shower. There’s gas in the carport connecting to the current stove and the heater in the current lounge.