mazed_siddiqi

Suspended balcony with drainage

aftab sidiqi
2 years ago

Hi All, I am designing a double story house and noticed architect didn't put any drainage point in balconies (suspended balcony). Balcony dimension is 1.2mX4.3m. Glass balustrade being used in balcony. So is it ok to have a suspended balcony without drainage point ?

Comments (8)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Two different scenarios of glass balustrade. One requiring drainage the other not.

aftab sidiqi thanked dreamer
  • aftab sidiqi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Dreamer, the balcony designed like the 2nd picture (space under the balustrade). So my concern is, if water flushes via facade/cladding will it have water mark on cladding over years...or there is nothing to worry about ?

• dreamer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So you must not be having a roof over the balcony, is that correct, If you think there will be large amounts of water overflowing the balcony. Are you in a cold or tropical place that rains all the time?

Otherwise, a normal winter with sunny days to dry out the external service, I would not think there is a problem. But, speak to your builder and communicate your concerns.

aftab sidiqi thanked dreamer
  • aftab sidiqi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do have a roof over the balcony.

Thank you for the feedback :-)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

If you are using an architect you should ask them to clarify and allay your concerns.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

If you have a roof over the balcony, then there will not be a problem. You will have spray from rain caused by the wind, maybe direct rain onto balcony if your facing into where the rain is coming from if strong and horizontal. But, I would never think you would have water overflowing down your cladding from the balcony. I am talking from experience as I have a balcony with a roof.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

for such a narrow balcony i would not have any floor at all and use a French balcony to enjoy outdoors without stepping outside the room and avoid the cost and potential drainage problems of the balcony