webuser_528744599

Chandelier max height in Canberra Australia

PC NewHome
2 years ago

I have bought a chandelier for a corner in the house. its height is 1.82 m and i want to hang it upto full length as it will be in a corner. ceiling height is 2.7m

can someone guide me if there is any restrictions on length i can hang it upto?

my electrician is not ready to install at full length. he said he can lose license and i will not receive occupancy certificate. but some of my friends have full length installed and they received occupancy certificate without any issues.

Comments (3)

• oklouise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

check with the service that will provide the occupancy certificate and give your electrician the written response or wait until after the house is occupied to have the chandelier installed by a different electrician and use a cheap temporary light fitting in the meantime but the problem might be that a standard chandelier is meant to be walked under by an average adult at around standard door height of 2100mm and what you have sounds more like an electric art work than an average chandelier

• PC NewHome
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am not sure what exactly is electrical art work. But it is just a basic chandelier which is 1.8m and will be in corner of the family room.

• oklouise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

if your electrician is thinking about what they are familiar with and rules for standard chandeliers say that they need to be high enough to walk under they may need to consider rules for other type of electrical fitting: sometimes the rules are very specific to the standard understanding and don't allow for your unusual variations that may need one off rules from the authorities so, when asking about your extra long light fitting, don't call it a chandelier or people who are not familiar with your variation will base their response on what they already know... and the manufacturer of your light fitting probably intended it to be used in a stairwell but they should be able to provide instructions for proper installation in your specific situation