kaps34

Architect or Builder & Drafter for extension/reno?

Kerri
2 years ago

I’ve never used an Architect before and wondering about experiences, expenses, what to expect and who to go to in the Newcastle NSW area.
Our home is quite architectural being different angles (which is nice) so it’s always been hard to find ideas that will work with this.
I am wanting more natural light in and want to make use of views at the back of the house, and we are upgrading to a covered deck.
The builder and drafty are good and have drawn deck plans up. I’m just nervous as it’s a big job and quite expensive. Worried I could be spending that money smarter as it’s not the only thing that needs attention.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Comments (12)

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok thank you, that sounds like a good start.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

There's an Architect "Bourne Blue" that works in your area and other coastal NSW, Blueys Beach etc, check them out .

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you C P, I started off with episode 205 of Undercover Architect and it was exactly where I was at, how I was feeling and what I meant. I’d like to add an architect into the mix as well for a holistic look at how this extension will work in and what outcome it actually give us.

• PRO
    NJR Studios
    2 years ago

Hi Kerri,

I'd suggest going with a building designer/draftsman that has a close working relationship with a builder or builder that has an in-house designer. Renovations can be tricky and expensive, coupled with the current economic climate in NSW, and the fact that construction prices have increased drastically, having this combo allows for making sure that project budgets can be maintained.

Are you looking to open up and extend or just open up and lighten up? Two storey or Single Storey? Views towards the water or inland?

Also, below is a link to building designers in Newcastle.

15 Newcastle Building Designers

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you NRJ and for the link too.
    We need to replace an old deck. Two storey at back. New deck will have a roof and be bigger with different access.
    I think it’s quite expensive so I’m worried if I’m spending money on wrong things.
    We’re on a couple of acres so lovely trees and room around us. But it feels hard to get outside and be part of it. Effort to see kids in backyard. I know it’s winter but there’s not a warm spot of natural light in the house of a morning.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

House plans

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

House from outside

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    2 years ago

The bigger and more complex the project, the more you'll need the services of an architect.

The architect should be doing the lot from the very start to the end when you get handed the keys to the finished project. The client only liases with the architect and they do everything on your behalf.

If you only require design and plans, etc for approvals and your builder is very good then using a building designer or draftsman is more than sufficient. They need to be able to design well in this day and age otherwise it could be non compliant with thermal requirements, planning regulations getting tighter, etc.. The days of you telling the draftsman what to draw because they don't know how to design are long gone.

Experiance with projects comparable to yours is what is needed. Choose the one that suits your project rather than the piece of paper with their qualification written on it.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you MB Design, you have given me reassurance and I probably just need to get together with the builder and his drafty instead of worrying on my own.

• afjp
    2 years ago

Hi Kerri, if you are spending substantial sums of money I would invest in the services of an architect. It will be worth it as they will come up with the best plans for natural light, consider your needs and how you live and design spaces that meet those needs. They may well come up with ideas you never even thought of. Perhaps you could have a couple come out for a chat about what you are looking for to see if you are on the same wavlength. Usually the initial consult has no or minimal charge. Good luck. Be upfront about your budget, from personal experience engage a builder early in the process as they will be able to give you a ballpark price for what you are after before you get too far down the track. Just trying to avoid disappointment in case your budget is not realistic