honeybell1

Black Granite or Pink Marble for 2x fireplace hearths

Caitlin Honeyman
2 years ago

I’m a solo mumma renovating an old house and need help deciding which stone to use for my fireplace hearths.

My bedroom - walls are a soft pinky/grayge (think farrow and ball peignoir 1/4) with white trims. Carpet will be a light beige loop pile. Room is naturally dark as it doesn’t get much natural light.

Living/dining room - polished Baltic pine floor boards will be adjacent the stone. Window to the right of the fireplace will be removed, however the room gets lots of light.

At this stage both mantles will stay dark wood (although I’m considering painting the bedroom one white as it’s in need of tlc anyway).

I had originally picked a white stone with brown/pinky/beige veins (lady is holding it next to the black granite) but we found out 30 mins later that the piece was needed for another job.

I’m looking at offcuts so am limited to what the stonemason has in stock.

Pink Marble for both
Black granite in bedroom & pink marble in living/dining
Pink Marble in bedroom & black granite in living/dining
Galaxy Black Granite for both

Comments (11)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Is the corner fireplace the bedroom? If so and you paint it white then I think the black would be too dark and the pink would be lovely. For the living room I don’t think either are ideal - the pink is well pink and the black is very dark. Can the stone yard keep an eye out for you for something similar to the stone you missed out on? It sounds lovely.

• PRO
    Caitlin Honeyman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes the corner fireplace is the bedroom. Do you mean paint the mantel white? Do you think the pink marble will get lost with the light carpet and the pink walls? I loved the contrast with the first marble (white with the vein), just worried this one will disappear into the background - or clash with the fireplace!

I can easily go back to the stone yard and keep looking. The black was just very pretty, as was the pink.

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Yes I was referring to painting the mantle which you’ve said you were unsure of. Either, white or wood, the pink marble wouldn’t be an obvious feature in the bedroom. It would be a subtle surprise and gently pretty. But I would keep looking for the lounge.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Anything but the black marble.

• User
    2 years ago

Just some more general comments first .

The living/dining area already has quite a mix of colours , all nice in themselves , but it doesn't look like you've got a whole plan .

The fireplace is 'earthy' with brown and red , but then you have a different brown on the mirror surround ; the 2 wall units are an off-white with a bit of gold ; one chair is older in style with a different brown and off-white ; the other more modern in style with sharp black and white material ; then a table that is a lighter brown again and basic black legs . One of the wall units may even be in front of a window , and the window surround looks a different shade of golden brown again .

Even if you added cushions and a rug , all the differences will still be there , then you want either black or pink marble ?

I'd look at swapping around furniture , selling or recovering some , maybe restain furniture in a Japanese Black and fixtures and fittings all the same brown tone ? Then decide on a 'highlight' colour , maybe get an artwork in that tone ( lets say red , or maybe a blue ? ) , say 6 cushions the same almost -- say 2 solid red , 2 red striped , 2 red chequered ?

And I haven't forgotten the marble -- how about an offwhite , with mainly grey veins , but maybe some pink or light blue veins to reference the cushions and art ? The primarily light marble will look smart , but importantly should help set a cohesive tone .

Just my thoughts .

• PRO
    Caitlin Honeyman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Pottsy.
    The photo with the furniture was only to show the fireplace not in a war zone and to give some context! The linen couch and chair no longer exist. The coffee table is for the kids to trash (as the house is tiny and this space serves as the only play area in the house apart from the bedroom - which is also tiny), so this is pure function over form. The wall has also been partly painted white above the fireplace mantel when the fireplace was restored. The rest of the wall wasn’t repainted to fix as I knew it would be when I renovated. So it is actually two different colours (bottom section white, top a light cream). The window is also being removed (as explained in the post) as it looks ugly and totally doesn’t suit the space.
    At this stage I’ve not decided if this space will function as the living room or dining room, or what to do about the back doors and windows. The only furniture coming back into the room will possibly be the white bookcases, rug and an antique sideboard and maybe my antique dining table, if this space is used as the dining room. Haven’t decided about the mirror, it was a second had cheapie I bought to fill a space, but it’s too dark and I don’t particularly like it!
    My biggest concern at the moment is finding a hearth that goes nicely with the fireplace, as furniture will always change depending on who lives there.

• PRO
    Caitlin Honeyman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like the idea of the white marble. The only issue I have is I’m limited to what the stonemason has available as off cuts in their yard. I think I’ll pop back on Wednesday and have another look!

• PRO
    Caitlin Honeyman
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The original stone that I picked for both rooms. Unfortunately we found out 30 mins after I picked it that the off-cut was still required for the job it was initially purchased for. Nothing else in the yard quite compared to it.

• Kate
    2 years ago

You could use tile as an alternative. I would keep it simple as the fireplace should be the star not the hearth.

• C P
    2 years ago

So I think you want to avoid any stone which resembles a headstone from the 80s (or any era frankly) and I think both the black and the pink have definite graveyard vibes.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I would keep the window and dress it to suit room,ie; match stick blind with a black curtain rod just below the vent, I would use simple back stone for bedroom fireplace as it will work with the metal fire insert. The living room fireplace completely different I would try using bricks to work with the ones on the fireplace, they may need halving to reduce height of hearth.. Are you looking at stone from a stone masons yard who works with graveyards, they can be less expensive.