julio789

Balcony railing lead paint issue

Julio R
2 years ago

I'm looking for ideas to fix or maybe replace an old balcony railing.

My balcony has metal railings where the paint is cracking up and chipping away, and rust started to appear in several places. Unfortunately, there seems to be an under coat of lead paint or primer, so I can't just sand it and repaint it.

I've considered the lead paint strippers and heat gun's, but I feel it's going to be a lot of work and far from perfect.

As a last resort I'm thinking of getting rid of the whole thing completely, and install new railings. Is this reasonable?

Comments (6)

• Kate
    2 years ago

Yes it doesn’t look like it meets current building code. They raised ht at some poinr

• dreamer
    2 years ago

It is a typical 1970,s railing. As today’s building codes for balustrades are higher, I would suggest you remove this railing and install a brand new balustrade which is to building code.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

And at the same time, fix the gap between the stairs and retaining wall. Water will get in the space over time and cause problems.

• Julio R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback.

I like the strand wires balustrade, still undecided between timber posts/handrail or aluminum or steel.

It seems Bunnings doesn't have much variety of them either.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Get a builder in to install

• me me
    2 years ago

You have a lovely mid century home. I would put a powdercoated railing that references the old one.