webuser_471883129

Is there a remedy for water based over oil without using primer?

HU-471883129
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Painter painted my internal wooden doors with water-based paint over oil-based paint, although he told me he had used an appropriate primer. But the paint can be peeled off with my fingernail after 4 days. How do I fix this up? I don't want that painter back here.

Comments (7)

• HU-471883129
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do you think sanding or stripping would be better/easier? It's quite a lot and it is peeling off. It seems the painter may have primed the front of the doors, but not the back and frames. AAAARGH!@! I think I'll have to remove paint from front back and sides. Every time I asked a question about what he was doing, he just told me he was the professional (and you can guess the rest). Maybe he thought at 75 years of age I wouldn't notice, but my eyesight is excellent so he hasn't.

• Kate
    2 years ago

They should be warrantying his work. Get them to fix. I accidentally did water base over oil with no issues, but it depends on the grip it can have.

HU-471883129 thanked Kate
  • A o
    2 years ago

I recently did water over oil using Dulux max adhesion. The results were mixed and I can definitely peel bits off in some areas, but time has helped. To get it to work you need to sand back to dull, sugar soap, prime then at least two coats. I also used floeterol in the enamel and it thinned it too much.

But yeah, get him back to fix or at least check his work.

• HU-471883129
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Andy, have painter recommended by Haymes coming to quote on fix. I can't risk having other painter back; he is very volatile.

• Anne Monsour
    2 years ago

I would not let Mr Dodgy touch anything again . Best to wear the loss and find a recommended painter . If you have not paid that bloke , document and photograph what he has done .

• HU-471883129
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I already paid him $500 of his $1250 bill. I have documented and taken photos, a good idea, thanks, and stored copy of abusive texts and phone calls. His number now blocked on my phone. Appreciate all the advice I've received. Recommended painter is coming tomorrow.