webuser_752728927

Lighting debate- pendants, led fans, downlights

HU-752728927
2 years ago

We’re building a new home, with a classic feel. (Sandstone frontage, wrap around verandahs, etc) Ceilings throughout at 3.3m, and living dining area will have even higher cathedral ceilings w fire place. I have a personal dislike toward downlights and visualised some beautiful pendants in this living space- my functional husband however thinks we should have ceiling fans (I agree they make sense, but find fans with combined lights ugly, and can’t do fans AND pendants). We have the same debate in the bedrooms…

What would others do?! Would love to hear thoughts or suggestions.

Comments (7)

• rocksfam
    2 years ago

We have just been through this. The fans are pretty much mandatory in our climate. I agree that the fans with lights are ugly - the lighting is also terrible and a lot of them are designed so it is very difficult to change the globe.

In our bedroom, we put a fan in the middle of the ceiling, with a downlight in one corner (which we only use when we need bright light) and lamps on our bedside tables. We haven't found that we needed more than that. I was like you and wanted a pendant but couldn't find the right one so the downlight went in as a temporary measure. Once the right pendant appears, it will look beautiful in that corner. I have bright lighting in the ensuite and WIR and the bedroom is really only used for sleeping so no need to over-illuminate.

In our lounge, we put a fan in the centre of the room and used wall sconces that wash light up the walls. I then have a lamp over the piano and for when we do puzzles and need more light.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

The render of your proposed home looks wonderful. If you really dislike downlights, and ceiling fans with lights, have normal fans, with wall lighting. One downside with fans and down lights, is the strobing effect it may cause. That is why ceiling fans with lights are so good, because the light is below the fan, and does not interrupt the lighting.

• Anne Monsour
    2 years ago

I have just bought a extra large ceiling fan which is not ugly .

• HU-752728927
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all, not sure why wall lighting hadnt crossed my mind (I‘ll blame pregnancy 😂)! We’re unfortunately stuck overseas and attempting to make this build and selections happen from afar so heading into a store isnt an option.

So nice to get some extra options and thoughts!

• HU-319610855
    2 years ago

Dreamer is totally correct about the strobing effect- intolerable definitely need the lighting to be below fan level

ps, OP, I’m with you on the downlights

• Kate
    2 years ago

Downlights can be great for task lighting in kitchen bath and laundry and halls, but living spaces lamps or wall light are better.