adrian_faldt

Cathedral ceiling and glazed gable dilemma

Adrian Faldt
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are looking for advice on our house plans, and the feature glazed gable. We are building on the Sunshine Coast, QLD. The glazed gable is North facing and the intent is to have cathedral ceilings in the open-plan living and alfresco, with glazing through to the alfresco.

Since the contract was signed the builder has come back saying they can no longer build the glazed gable and cathedral ceilings as contracted (blaming a sub-contractor draftsman for the oversight), and instead will:

1. need to use a standard scissor truss, where the internal ceiling line will be 10 degrees rather than the proposed 25 degrees (I’ve done my own research and it appears they could use a parallel chord scissor truss to achieve the same result, the builder has said they will check with engineering)
  2. and due to the lower ceiling line they are proposing an inferior (in our opinion) type of gable glazing, which has the appearance of extending the stacker-door glass vertically upwards
  3. additionally they have called out the lack of structural support for the entire cathedral roof section, and need to add large structural beams from front to back for the roof to sit on, which creates the appearance of a ‘step’ leading up to the cathedral roof section when looking at the house from the front.

A few questions for the good folk on Houzz:

1. We don’t see any reason why the builder can’t achieve the original (contracted) design, does anyone have an idea on why this would not be achievable? Looking on Pinterest this design is very common.
  2. We don’t think the proposed design looks appealing (though would still achieve some additional Northern sun into the living area), what are your thoughts on the proposed design?
  3. The overall cost for the glazed gable and cathedral ceiling is about $58K. Does this sound reasonable for the original design and/or for the proposed design, and would you go ahead with the proposed design at this cost?

Comments (12)

• Kate
    2 years ago

Suggest you consult your own engineer. He may be looking to save costs which is his problem, but the roof needs to be supported and it’s hard to tell from facade what loads need to be carried and how the design allows for this.

• Anne Monsour
    2 years ago

Do you have your own architect ? Who drew up the original specs ? I would have thought that your structural engineer would have set the correct parameters. The builder’s drawing is ugly and if he was unable to follow the plans , then that should have been conveyed up front . It does sound to me that this builder will be a major problem as you continue with a build and will try to cut costs for himself . You want a builder who takes pride in doing a good job and not an easy job . What do you do if he changes plans partway through .

• Adrian Faldt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Kate and Amony,

We don't have our own engineer. The builder has developed the plans, design and will engage their own engineers through the process. As working drawings haven't been developed yet (awaiting final fixtures / fittings), I'm not sure if we could reasonably engage our own engineer, but let me know if you feel otherwise?

We don't have our own architect, the design is a modification of a standard house plan that the builder offers. Noting that they show a cathedral ceiling with glazed gable very close to what we have been shown on their website / marketing material, and what is in our contract.

With regards "the builder's drawing is ugly", I assume you're referring to the proposed new design, and yes we certainly agree! Though if you're referring to both original and proposed, then I guess that means you're recommending we don't pay the ~$58K and revert back to a normal ceiling and forego the glazed gable. That is certainly an option we are considering. We agree with respect to "if he was unable to follow the plans, then that should have been conveyed up front", and would have likely not gone with them, hence we feel like this is false advertising / bait & switch and depending on how things we go we will probably report them to the ACCC.

With regards "this builder will be a major problem as you continue with a build and will try to cut costs for himself", I can't argue with that, but for the moment we have a signed contract in play. So would your recommendation be to potentially forego the 5% deposit (assuming they quantify their reasonable costs up to this point) and walk away? This is certainly a scenario I am aware of.

For "what do you do if he changes plans partway through", this is where we are seeking some external legal (due tomorrow). I feel like the builder is in breach of contract, in which case we should have a way of cancelling the contract without losing our 5%. Right now we feel like they have made a major mistake in selling us on something they feel like they can't actually build, and hopefully legal advice supports that they are in breach.

• Adrian Faldt
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone, the builder's engineer (outsourced) has responded today, confirming that they can build a parallel chord scissor truss to achieve something like the original design (no mention of lead time / wait time yet). Next step is to wait for the builders' draftsman to provide an updated 3d render and elevations, and to hear back on the cost (ack!).

A few of you have responded to my post so far (thank you!) but I would still like to hear what people think of the cost the builder has proposed ($58K for glazed gable and cathedral ceiling for living and alfresco), and whether this is worth it (and if the cost increases further, whether that is still a good investment). Keeping in mind that this is facing North (southern hemisphere) so the intent is to capture winter summer sun.

• Ruth Benjamin-Thomas
    2 years ago

I face north in the Gold Coast with a bank of bifolds across the living and kitchen. I have a pergola that is angled so I get winter sun in the house but not summer sun. I can honestly say for most of the year my house is way too hot. For other climes getting the maximum north sun makes sense but here in Qld is really doesn’t. Unless the eaves are deep enough to stop the summer sun I would definitely loose the gable windows. $58k sounds reasonable. I just paid almost $12k for a piece of glass!

• Adrian Faldt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Ruth, we appreciate your insights. While the latest feedback from the builder is that they can build the glazed gable as per original design, it is likely we may end up having to forego it due to the major price increases seen in SE QLD, but we'll provide an update in due course.

• Elle Masters
    2 years ago

Th original house design is gorgeous, I love the look and hope the builder comes through. Keep us updated along the way!

• HU-88978881
    9 months ago

Hi Adrian,

I am looking at this solution also and wondering what the cost difference was between the scizzor truss option, and the parallel chord truss option was? I like you prefer the chord truss look and finish, but wondering before I pursue if there was a significant difference in building method based on your experience?

• Adrian Faldt
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hi HU-88978881, unfortunately this build / builder fell through, so I never got the pricing details you are asking for. Best of luck with your build! Photo attached of our build, about 6 weeks to go.

• Adrian Faldt
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hi HU-88978881, unfortunately this build and builder fell through, so I don't have the pricing information you are looking for. Best wishes for your build though! PS: Here is a photo of our new build, cathedral ceiling in the master suite.

• Kay Bodman
    9 months ago

There is a CSIRO book with all the dimension for overhangs for wither and summer depending on latitudes etc. invaluable document for anyone building. https://ebooks.publish.csiro.au/content/positive-energy-homes