noviceinvestor1

Floor tiles cracking - weatherboard cottage

noviceinvestor1
2 years ago

Recently I bought a ~40/50 year old single level weatherboard cottage in Western Sydney. The subfloor area is timber floor construction.

The previous owner renovated the house in late 2019 - this was a budget job - they tiled the whole floor with porcelain tiles, but now the tiles in most rooms have developed cracks (towards the centre of the rooms, the edges and hallways are OK).

Tiler recommends ripping the whole tiling out and do it again because the timber floor is flexible hence the cracks.
Estimate > $8000 to do it properly (first chicken mesh wire + cement and then tiles), which will raise the level so all the doors also need to be shaved at the bottom!

Any suggestions please for something more economical?

Instead of tiling how about the hybrid/engineered floating floorboards as they shouldn't that be flexible and cheaper? Of course carpet is an easy option but I don't really like it
Thank you!!

Comments (7)

• me me
    2 years ago

Perhaps vinyl planks. I would ask flooring places for some quotes.

noviceinvestor1 thanked me me
  • bigreader
    2 years ago

Are you able to DIY at all? At least do the tile removal yourself. I’m with me me. The new luxury vinyl planks (lvp) are really nice and much improved on the first generation of vinyl planks. I’ll always remain a real wood floor board fan but the faux products have their place.

noviceinvestor1 thanked bigreader
  • noviceinvestor1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @me me @bigreader thanks for the advice. These LVPs - can these be laid directly on top of the timber subfloor? Will they be resistant to cracking compared to tiles? Last, can you pls give me any approximate idea of per sq meter price for LVP for complete supply and install?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Google approximate costs. All the floor companies, both bricks & mortar and online will have them advertised. They are probably the most forgiving when it comes to substrate and are suitable for going over timber but without seeing your floor we’d be guessing on whether they’ll work. They won’t crack.

noviceinvestor1 thanked bigreader
  • zen_garden
    2 years ago

I had this problem in a 70’s house. Floorboards everywhere but kitchen had tile glued directly on top. I removed the tile myself and used a heat gun to scrape the glue off. Took me ages to do. Then had whole of the house flooring sanded and coated in matt varnish. It was only an extra $500 to include the kitchen. Looked rustic but so much better than the cracked tile

• zen_garden
    2 years ago

Before, during and after