sally_s63

Porcelain versus stone bench top?

Jackie A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm thinking of using porcelain as my kitchen benchtop, not manufactured or natural stone. What do you think? (NB: high end house)

Comments (4)

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I found this article when I was looking at benchtop material for a family member

Porcelain sheets are the way forward, non staining and of no danger to the craftsman/maker

• Porcelain is more expensive than Quartz (both in raw material and in installation costs), but then so is marble. I am using a lot of Neolith in my house, so I shopped around to find a stone cutter who was crafty with maximising the use of each sheet of Neolith (to avoid wastage and minimise the number of sheets needed). It made a huge difference. My house was also designed around the sheet size - Neolith sheets are 3.2 metres long (so you can have a 3.2 metre benchtop or island without needing a join).
      You need to use 12mm (or thicker) sheets for benchtops. (Splashbacks and showers use 6mm thick porcelain sheets - Neolith does 2 different matching sheets for each marble design, so you can bookmark and pattern match the splashback).
      Also be aware that the marble pattern is only printed on the top of all of the brands of porcelain. If you want to continue the pattern on the “lips” of your benches, this needs to be a beveled edge (which you also need to do with quartz or marble if you want any thickness of “lip” to your benchtop). So you also have to factor in the stone cuts needed to create the benchtop “lips” when calculating sheet cutting and usage.
      I am not having edging on my benchtops and am instead going for the slim European look of “floating” benchtops. I am not worried that the 1.2 cm edge all the way around the benches will be plain white.
  • PRO
    Avant Stone
    2 years ago

We have a beautiful range of porcelain material Jackie, feel free to check them out - Porcelain Slabs in Sydney | Premium Slab Range | Avant Stone

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Thank you for the info Compass Kitchens