angeerz

Silicone has bled onto engineered oak

angeerz
2 years ago

The builder has siliconed the gap between the timber floor and skirting and the silicone has bled. Can it be fixed? Is it usual to silicone here? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Kate
    2 years ago

Toothpicks! Have the floors been sanded and polished yet. That should have happened before any caulking

• angeerz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks - Unfortunately it is a prefinished oak Tongue n Groove floor. I did think toothpicks! May take me a year! It is everywhere! 😳

• davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi there we have had two prefinished floating floors laid and neither of them had any silicone in the joins. The first had quarter round quad to hide the join and the current has skirting boards - both of these were/are attached to the wall and the floors go underneath with no sealant so they can move. You could ask the installer whether this is usual practice ( we are in Perth do maybe it is different in other states)? You could also ask if there is a product they use that removes the sealant without damaging the finish on the boards - either way I think it is a problem the installers should be aware of.

• angeerz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for that information - it is such a mess. I didn’t think it was usual practice. I will contact the installer. Who would renovate 😱🤣