zorkata

I need help with apartment interior design

zorkata
10 years ago
Hi,
Recently with my wife bought an apartment. We want to remodel the entire apartment, but I`m having troubles with the kitchen/living room. We will remove the wall(in white), connecting both rooms. We also want to put an island in the kitchen part, but I think it is getting a little tight. I`m thinking to put the sink in the corner, not as shown in the images.
Also, what do you think for the living area? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments (38)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    you could always have a coffee table that converts to a dining table when required - that way you will have more day to day space - and if you buy height adjustable stools you can use them and the desk chair and bring in one more chair from a bedroom to use for dinner parties ? this is assuming you don't mind eating at the breakfast bar most other times ... and that there's just the two of you !

this will allow you to move the island out further into room a little 1000mm is a good distance between cabinets and island. In some countries the guidelines suggest even larger gap. you need 600mm each sitting space at an island - so you could extend yours towards the windows a little too !
    zorkata thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    What is the overall dimension of the kitchen / eating area? Looks like there are some structural walls that can't be removed so it would be a bit tight to have a proper sized dining table with an island.
    zorkata thanked Dytecture
  • Related Discussions

Need help on lighting design

Q

Comments (3)
    Use a screen capture or clipping tool to turn it into a JPEG when it is up on your monitor.
    ...See More

Need interior design help with this room

Q

Comments (6)
    The market is full of tropical/botanical art at the moment which lend themselves well to tropical or beachy looks. The look you are after calls for natural textures with a soft colour palette, think linen bedding and layer it up with throws and cushions for texture and pops of colour. In my opinion drapes are not a good option in your room as the ceiling slopes to just above your window at a certain point. This would dictate the height at which your drapes hang and, in this instance would be too low. To soften the windows, I would have a tall palm or Fiddle Leaf Fig tree in wicker basket. It also looks like you have the space for a chair.
    ...See More

Would you use an interior designer that is online based?

Q

Comments (1)
    Definitely not! Thanks to the internet, we've had more options for interior designers than ever before but that doesn't mean that they should be strictly online. I feel like an interior designer is someone that needs to see and be in the room before they go about designing it.
    ...See More

Need help with design of a room - mustard accent

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Jacky, What a great start to your room! Mustard is a really versatile colour and you can do so much with it. To help with what else to use there are a few other things to take into account. What sort of flooring do you have? How much light comes in? How big is the room? What sort of bedding configuration will there be? What will the bedroom be used for - a guest room or for family? Apart from rustic, how you want it to feel - relaxed and calming or fun and edgy for example. Are there any other colours that you have used a lot in the rest of the house? Thinking about all those things can get you heading in the right direction for a whole room look and colour scheme that you will love.
    ...See More
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes, that was the idea with the height adjustable stools, so I can use them if I need more chairs around the table. I think, we`ll be using both the dinner table and the breakfast bar(if we keep the island :).
    The kitchen/eating area is approximately 18 square meters, and the living area - 16.
    One more thing that drives me crazy, are the two columns on the wall where I want to put countertop and cabinets. Any ideas for some smart solutions?

Thanks
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    For us to help you more, we need measurements in width x length , metric is fine. But 18 sq metres comes in many different shapes!

For the posts in the kitchen - do what you have shown, use narrower lower cabinets, matching with the full depth cabinets beside.

from experience - corner sinks are horrible! Particularly if any appliance right beside - i.e. oven or dishwasher. I don't see the sink in plans - where is it?
    zorkata thanked kathy
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the kitchen measurements. There is something that looks like e sink, but it`s not in the corner in the images. The corner sink is an idea, that may not happen, because the post in the kitchen is in the wrong place :) Makes the space for the sink very small.
    I moved the island a little bit farther from the countertop, cut the width a bit and rearranged the dining table. But the orientation of the table seems a bit strange now :)
  • PRO
    Vertical Farming + Technology 4 your home
    10 years ago
    Hi, but my first idee is you start with the Basic and start with the checklist. Where is the water pipe and do you want a hood to blow up ? The next step what style of kitchen do you want and now you change the floor ? Is it Wood for warm feeling
    or is it Stone? Where must by the heating ? If you want i send
    you the checklist from Your German Kitchen, Boston Mass.
    With Kind regards
    zorkata thanked Vertical Farming + Technology 4 your home
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Hard to tell from the plan, but there seems to be a lot of unused space in the desk area. Can you move the living room to that area and the desk to the living room area. Put the wall unit on the end wall.
    zorkata thanked Angel 18432
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    I wanted to have some free space in the center of the room. Which is the end wall, I don`t understand :)

@ kuecheandmore
    The dining and living area will be laminate floor, and the cooking area - tiles
    And yes, can you send me the checklist. Thanks
  • PRO
    Vertical Farming + Technology 4 your home
    10 years ago
    Hi, that's my idea.The first picture is in front of the backwall.
    That' the view from the diningroom.
    For more informations and details send me a mail.
    Best regards.
    kuecheandmore.
    zorkata thanked Vertical Farming + Technology 4 your home
  • PRO
    Boyan Savov
    10 years ago
    About putting the sink in the corner, do not, verry uncomfortable if you are planning on using it for alot of dishwashing ext. i have it in the corner in my kitchen not comfi at all, it savs space but thats the only advantage.
    zorkata thanked Boyan Savov
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hmm... I'm thinking that you could perhaps let the kitchen go through the corner, under the windows, and let a peninsula come off that with a dining table perpendicular to that. Have the cooker in the island, the sink where the cooker is in your plan and the wall where the fridge is a floor to ceiling storage wall.
    Something like this. Rough sketch, I'm not a designer, but to give you an idea:
    zorkata thanked Carolina
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Have an island-dining-table in one. Or just a big family table.
    How about switching living and kitchen? Would that be possible?
    And how high are the window sills in the kitchen area?
    Rustic Kitchen · More Info

Zack Residence · More Info

Nantucket-Inspired Remodel and Furnish · More Info

Brooke House · More Info
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Another idea, with full height cabinets on the fridge side.
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    And one more, with a full wall full height cabinets (built in fridge) as a background, so all clutter removed from view and workspace. Coffee maker and such can be kept behind a door.
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    First:
    Olive Tree Lane - Kitchen · More Info
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Second (with some imagination):
    condo renovation · More Info

Applegate Tran Interiors · More Info
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi rinqreation, I think we have the same idea here. Great picture examples.
    zorkata thanked Carolina
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    You have an incredible amount of wasted space in hallways that serve little purpose. Remove the WHOLE wall, then try configuring the space.
    zorkata thanked groveraxle
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Or if it gives you more practical space to use, you can close off the door to the kitchen. Since you can easily get into the kitchen through the living room.
    zorkata thanked Carolina
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    If possible, this could be a great layout too:
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    In rinqreation's plan above, instead of the 2 parallel work areas of the kitchen, make them an L-shape. (You would end up with L-shaped kitchen counters in same spot as the L-shaped sectional sofa on your original plan). That gives you more room for your table and chairs - but no island.

How many people need to eat here regularly? A smaller table - a 40" or 1m diameter round table that opens up to seat 6 or even 8 people, would be small but still comfortable for every day, if only 2-4 people everyday.
    zorkata thanked kathy
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi all,
    First I want to thank you all for the suggestions and I`m sorry that I did not respond in time. I was busy with other stuff and the project was on hold. It is about to restart soon, so I will need your advices once again :)
    I made some changes with the kitchen. Decided to drop the kitchen island due to lack of space for the dining table. I`m also thinking of installing something like a movable breakfast bar next to one of the windows, so you can enjoy the view.
    I upload different variants of the living room and the current situation with the kitchen. What do you think about the furniture arrangement in the living room? We hope, we will be using the TV mostly for watching movies, so it is not necessarily to be the main object in the living room.
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ...and the kitchent images
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @rinqreation and @carolins - great ideas that I wouldn`t think of, but I think we won`t spend so much time in the kitchen, so I don`t want to waste space there. I`ll ask the contractors if we can swap the kitchen and the living room. The window sills are 90cm.

@groveraxle - I can`t remove what you`ve highlighted, because there are two columns.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi again zorkata :-)
    I like your third layout the best, with your living area near the windows.
    zorkata thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    10 years ago
    Consult a kitchen designer for your island question.
    zorkata thanked Mean Design
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    What if you'd try to place the kitchen in the centre? Dining on the 'left' and living in the large area? (if the window heights allow this)
    zorkata thanked rinked
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately the window sills in the living area are 65 cm and placing the kitchen there will be very difficult, because the water pipes need to be moved 6m. And with minimum 5 degree angle of the pipe, one end has to be raised 50 cm. Otherwise, it`s a nice idea to swap the kitchen and the living area.
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really appreciate the efforts for the many different layouts, but I for now, the kitchen will stay the way it is. I`m more worried about the living area. I can`t figure out the best position of the furniture. The desk with the computer is for multimedia purposes, it`s not a work desk.

Thanks again!!
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @carolins I also like seating area near the windows, but I think that blocks the entrance to the living room?
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don`t know, may be something like this....but it`s more or less the same :/
  • chang
    10 years ago
    is su?
  • zorkata
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I don`t understand
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    In the first layout that I liked (pic attached), if you put the bookcases/cabinets against the back wall, you'll have more space to walk past the sofa.
    I would prefer to have the TV against the wall, not in front of the windows.
    But whichever layout you choose, if the size of the furniture allows you to, you can shuffle it around and see what works best for you when you live there.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm happy for you that the project is no longer on hold. Hope it all goes smoothly :-)
  • chang
    9 years ago
    SketchUp ?