judie_gale48

new vanity vs new benchtop in the BRAND NEW bathroom

Judie Gale
last year

We are moving into a new display home. It has a beautiful, NON FUNCTIONABLE bathroom!

1300mm double Villerroy & Boch sink with a flat to wall mirror above & a wall hung cabinet.

There is no bench space, nowhere to put skincare & makeup (except the shelves in the vanity - no drawers).. The vanity is finished in the same laminate used in the walk through robe that is visible from the bathroom.

Thinking to replace the bench with a single sink at one end & replace the mirror with a large shaving cabinet. 2m ceilings so height is not an issue.

It has been suggested that just replacing the vanity might be a better choice but then we have to match to the robe laminate.

Thoughts??

Comments (6)

• Judie Gale
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Kate definitely thinking semi inset sink at LH end. then i gain 600- 800mm of bench. the mirror is on a thick , common wall so recess is not i am keen to explore. hoping its fully tiled behind the mirror. custom shaver with an exposed timber shelf at the bottom are my preference. that allows us to add another power point w usb ports inside the cabinet & keep shaver cords wtc hidden

• davincicalbourne
    last year

You could do as you suggest (also taking into account depth of medicine cabinet) then add internal wire drawers to make the most of your vanity storage. Another alternative is to replace the vanity with drawers in a colour laminate that you love - no problem then with matching robe cabinetry.

• Kate
    last year

Remove the caulking on left hand ensued of vanity against tile and check if tile go behind basin. If they are cut around the bench top it will be more work to retrofit new top.
    Easy to recaulk again if it is all too hard to change out

• PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    last year

My thoughts

Leave the mirror as is and replace the vanity with an all-drawer vanity, (some vanities have a shallow sliding tray in the top drawer/s )

• PRO
    Fontaine Industries
    last year

My thoughts is that if you are going to replace the mirror, maybe just replace the whole vanity as it is not too much more work than only changing the basin and benchtop. A vanity with drawers will give much more storage space. For the mirror cabinet, you might need to consider the width and depth as there's a wall socket on the wall.