lizzstewart_03

Shed houses advice

We have some land, quite a big block (10 hectares), and are wanting to build. We saw an architect a few years ago with what we wanted and were told it would be $1 million to build, jump forward to now and it is now $2.5 million.....which I think is crazy, reasonable for a 6 bedroom home, but still crazy. The architect suggested that we think about a shed build....to keep the cost down.

With building material prices being so expensive at the moment and no immediate change in the foreseeable future, I feel that this may be the only way I can have what I want. We have thought about buying, however even buying in the market at the moment would cost the same as building.

Initally against the idea, but I have seen some nice designs (mostly in New Zealand). Has anyone built a shed house? Have any tips or tricks, things to avoid, people/companies you would suggest? I just feel completely out of my depth (and not sure where to even start if I am honest).

Comments (19)

• oklouise
    last year
    1. we've built a few big steel sheds on different properties including one designed specifically as a small weekender on our 8 hectare bush block ...our house shed is rated A class residential which means that the "house" is suitable to live in long term and could be sold as a house and has all the requirements of any other house for waterproofing, insulation and services, regardless of size .... the process was just as complex as building any other new house but acreage has extra requirements like adding power, water, sewerage, fire protection and a long all weather driveway and parking....we first went to council to clarify specific requirements (no different to any other new build), then talked to shed companies who offered residential rated buildings, designed a floor plan to suit restrictions of the steel buildings (bonus raked ceilings) and had it built!....but we chose a shed company to suit our specific situation but any reputable builder can build a steel building and savings can be made in costs of external cladding and speed of erection, the simple shape of the building and the ease of creating a passive solar design with enough land to locate the shed to suit best solar aspect and views but the concrete slab, internal wall lining, windows, plumbing, electrical, bathroom, kitchen and laundry etc etc is the same as for any new build ... any savings was easily used up by the costs for all the acreage extras that are not needed for a house in the suburbs but we chose the steel building because it's much more suitable for the location than a suburban house but it's just as comfortable to live in and we would do the same again...the costs to build your same house would be similar anywhere and can be streamlined with careful planning but will the same house in the suburbs be what you want? would love to see your floor plans
    lizzstewart_03 thanked oklouise
  • User
    last year

The other thing is -- have you looked at existing houses/lifestyle blocks for sale in your area ? I'm just outside Hamilton ( N Z ) btw .

Assuming your land is worth say $1 mil , and a house ( or barn ) is $2--2.5mil to build -- what can you get for $3.5mil ? I have just been through that exercise , and in fact settled on my new place a month ago tomorrow -- it wasn't much more than the above figure , but is on 32 hectares ( most is leased to a neighbour ) , has 2 other houses which are rented , several sheds , but the main house is ( IMO ) impressive -- 680sq mtr , 5 bed , 5 bath PLUS a 2 bed flat , pool , tennis court , etc .

• siriuskey
    last year

where is your parcel of land

• User
    last year

I assume you are asking @lizzstewart siriuskey ? I assumed NZ from her comments ( 03 is the South Island phone area too , but of course the 03 on her log-in may have nothing to do with that ) , but I may be wrong about NZ .

• siriuskey
    last year

didn't think of that potttsy99, it could also be Victoria in Australia. I'am a big fan of shed houses, quick and flexable builds, There have been some gorgeous ones down around Bowral in NSW, Di Jones Real estate has sold them. How are you enjoying your Mac Mansion, it also looks gorgeous

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm still in my old place thanks @siriuskey haha . The previous owners haven't found the right place for them , and I wanted to keep my old place furnished until it sold , so the previous owners are renting my new place ( in english , they haven't moved out haha ) . A bit strange but it works for both parties . By the way , they've paid 2 months , then they have the right to extend another 2 months , so it has a finite end date of just after New Year .

Their lawyer offered the opportunity to delay settlement date , which would save me some interest , but I already had the $$$ organised , plus I am working through things , such as wanting to build a large shed in the paddock , upgrade the security system , the kind of stuff thats harder if you don't legally own the property .

I've visited several times , Frankie ( my mobile home ) and Friend Ship ( my boat ) are parked in the paddock , but its sort of in limbo .

• siriuskey
    last year

Sounds like a perfect arrangement, what do the French call it?, is your current home on the market yet having to deal with inspections. I would prefer to move out while it's on the market leaving enough furniture to show case it and just have a few necessary things in the new Mac Mansion, bed, table and chair TV, Airfryer Microwave., it's amazing what you can live without..

Frankie and Friendship must be loving their new home.

• User
    last year

I don't want to hijack this thread , but my 'old' place isn't officially on the market , but it is potentially sold .

End of August a landscaping/trimming crowd came in and spent several hours with 4 people , and cut and shaped and trimmed everything that looked like it was growing haha -- trees and shrubs and hedges . Apparently the start of spring was a good time to do it . Looked a bit bare , but the green is coming back now .

Then I waterblasted and steamcleaned all the walls and windows and fences and paths and terraces -- in fact a couple of mates helped me on a Sunday -- amazing what free dinner and drinks does !

The laundry got all new white doors with hidden hinges and no handles ( just grooves on the top or bottom , depending on height from floor ) . Sort of a quick fix , made the old cupboards look new but they are still old if you open them . In fact , we covered the shelves too , so it looks clean , up not really my taste , but I literally couldn't get a builder to do anything major , so a kitchen crowd made and installed the doors .

The rest has basically had a clean out , but I wanted to keep the dining table and chairs , the lounge suites , the art , the rugs , the coffee tables , etc , all there . And a bed and cabinet and artwork in every bedroom . Basically , so it looks lived in , not too staged , not too empty .

Anyway , a guy who knows a mate is extremely keen , and has the $$$ , just sorting out the details . A bit sad , especially as it was designed by a well-known local architect , but he wants to demolish and build 5 2storey townhouses , with a 300 sq mtr penthouse on top . Basically , you cannot buy anything like that right on the lake ( it has riparian rights ) and it looks like it fits with resource consents etc . But he's prepared to pay basically the $$$ that most agents think it would sell for , so his money is as good or better than anyone elses ,

He's pretty flexible on settlement , so it looks likely I'll move just after New Year , but we'll see .

• siriuskey
    last year

Looks like a done deal then so no need to worry about open for inspection, sad to lose your old house to new townhouses, I would prefer to sell to some who would love the house as much as you did, especially if the sale price is the same

• lizzstewart_03 thanked siriuskey
  • lizzstewart_03
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

@oklouise We don't have house plans, but a very solid idea of what we want, it has been a long process with little progress for many reasons. We are also on a bush block so have many of the considerations that you mentions such as power, water etc. When we bought the block the power was already been 'connected', sot that is one less thing to worry about.

Do you have a background in architecture or drafting or building? It seems like an ambitious adventure, if you don't have any relevant background. So much to consider...I guess one step at a time and research, research, research.

@bigreader the architect believes that it would save us money on all of the fronts that you mention, but specifically "a simpler construction?" I am not sure that it would save us any money really as it is still a big build. Our land is situated in a more rural area, so we need to consider the cost of transport etc, and it is a riparian zone and in a bushfire prone area, initally the rating was BAL40, this could be reduced by decreasing risk with the right building material, protection areas, correct vegetation etc.

Still lots to take into consideration.

The article supplied by @siriuskey seems to indicate it is cheaper.

@User, thanks for your input, I don't mind that you 'hijacked' the post, it was all relevant, good to see how others are making things work. Sounds like you have a little piece of heaven. I really love the back and forth conversation, that you have with siruskey; you obviously know each other on some level.

and @siriuskey the parcel of land we have is in Australia - New South Wales on the border with the ACT. Thanks for the links. The article is a great read and some of the shomes are just stunning.

• siriuskey
    last year

lizzstewart_03, pottsy99 and I are just contributors on Houzz and possibly could be called Houzz friends. as he lives in NZ and me in NSW.

I agree with your Architect re the Shed build, it would be cheaper to ship materials and much quicker to assemble/build so saves time and money. I have a friend who is wanting to build a "Hanger house" in a proposed new development in an Aviation Park on Wallis Island so he can live side by side with his beloved aircraft

Another beautiful country house for you to look at which could be simulated with Sheds, but I'am not sure what style of house you are planning to build, cheers

https://www.dijones.com.au/property/house-nsw-bowral-1p67400

lizzstewart_03 thanked siriuskey
  • Ruth Benjamin-Thomas
    last year

Have you looked at https://www.bookenblend.com/? The design might not be to your taste but they have lots of info about building sustainably in country settings and on a budget. Might be worth looking into. Personally I find their house beautiful for a country setting.

lizzstewart_03 thanked Ruth Benjamin-Thomas
  • Kate
    last year

If getting trades is an issue look at modular like Prebuilt where it is built in factory and they transport it to site mostly done and bring their own trades to finish. You just have to manage the site works

• siriuskey
    last year

Do you have a sketch of what you were thinking of we might be able to draw it up for you.

• lizzstewart_03
    Original Author
    last year

@Ruth Benjamin-Thomas Thanks for the link, what be beautiful home and the website is great, I have only just started to look at it but so far lots of food for thought.

@Kate Yes I have thought about prebuilt, not sure that it is what we want, however we will have another look at it. Thanks.

• Kate
    last year

There are a few companies