webuser_998291929

Ideas for reducing wind impact on decking on rural property

Big Col
last year

Hello all, we're about to build a property in rural Victoria on a 25 acre block. The house has been designed to face south to maximise views of mountains ahead of us and reduce the impact of afternoon sunlight. However, we visited our neighbours house - 300 metres away - and they spoke about the wind from the south, to the extent that there are few days they can actually sit outside. It is a rather windy area.

Whilst we can plant bushes/shrubs, these will be low level so as not to impact the view. One potential solution would be to use cafe style blinds that would allow us to still sit outside but protected, somewhat, from the wind.

Our architect is rather appalled though - 'not in keeping with the design' - and my partner is less keen as she's not a fan of blinds. I'd love to hear from people who've used blinds and the extent to which they provide protection from the wind, are they happy with them and is this a viable solution ??!

Many thanks in advance,

Big Col

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Big Col
    Original Author
    last year

Many thanks, bigreader - that's what I expected. We have designed it with large windows to make the most of the views so that may just have to suffice on those windy days. The blinds would only be on those days when its a little blowy - we'd have them retracted on good days or when the wind is too much (to prevent damage).

• oklouise
    last year
    last modified: last year

if you're not concerned about lost views to the sides lattice attached to a pergola can break down winds while you wait for ornamental grape vines etc to grow but aiming to create sunscreening for our alfresco and verandahs (on four sides of a rural property) we made big wooden frames neatly covered with shade cloth and the frames were then attached with screws to the pergola/verandah so that they could be removed in milder weather....our screens were never removed and we later added hinged screen doors as we found that the screens cut down strong winds, made the areas warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather, stopped most of the bugs and created a great screened room for our barbq and outdoor dining area as well as a safe place for small kids and pets ...surprisingly after first choosing a light colour we found that the black shade cloth is best as it doesn't darken indoor rooms any more than standard flyscreens and provides the added bonus of privacy seen from outside ...i imagine that for super strong winds it could be useful to consider extra upright and horizontal framing to provide more support for the screens or simply design the new space to attach the shade cloth directly to create a screened room...

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Motorised blinds would be almost invisible when retracted but would offer resistance to the wind, decorative screens or retractable screens would look beautiful.

• jen876
    last year

I've used cafe blinds on the side of a deck to protect from southerly winds and they were very effective. Lasted over a decade. But they always looked dirty; we were near the coast, so salt spray covered them, and I wouldn't want to be looking through them.

I've always loved the shutters used in Queenslanders, both the hinged lattice and plantation

• siriuskey
    last year

Incorporating an internal style courtyard facing South would help with the wind and should still allow for the Mountain view. We lived on acres in New Gisborne at one time which had wind issues a walled garden was a big help

• HU-187052413
    last year

Cafe Styles?

• HU-187052413
    last year

Cafe Style?

• Cheryl Kingsman
    last year

I have used motorised zip blinds in my pool house and are very happy with them. We have had some strong wind and rain and they hold up very well hardly any rain comes inside at all. They are very easy to clean bird crap comes off very easy no stains. Highly recommend.

• User
    last year

There seems to be more info needed -- you said about blinds not being in keeping with the style of the house -- I'd like to see a general plan , but also a render/artists impression of the area around the terrace .

Bigreaders comment of adding another window was what I was also thinking -- you could maybe 'frame' it if that suited your houses style , or even have it basically like a tall frameless terrace or pool fence -- a solid piece or pieces of laminated glass ( I doubt if perspex/lexon etc would be solid enough ? ) firmly supported at the base ? Of course , that would need the entry/exit from the terrace to be on the sides , but it should work if the wind is directly from the south -- almost a standalone window on the 'outside' of the terrace .

And its probably too late now , but another trick would be to put the house at say a 45 degree angle , with then a side wall , whether it be a solid wall , or glass , or trellis or creeper or a mix or even tall shrubs -- that way you could possibly still get the views from the windows ( maybe not the back of the respective rooms though ) , while getting at least some wind protection ?

• PRO
    Big Col
    Original Author
    last year

My sincere thanks to all who have responded - and apologies for my delay in commenting. Your comments and feedback is much appreciated and has given us some useful ideas and a few more things to consider. Thank you

• PRO
    CHRISTINE HALL ARCHITECTS LTD
    last year

Hi Big Col,

I'm inclined to agree with your partner and the architect. If the house is designed for the views, enjoy that. If your neighbour has said there are only a few days you can enjoy being outside on the south, take that advise and look for alternatives. Can you create a sunken space that is sheltered maybe? Is there the ability to have a protected outdoor space to the north with a roof if you need shade and possibly with a view through the house to the mountains? Maybe some minor tweaks to the glazing are possible to acheive this.

It seems a shame to engage an architect to come up with a great house for you and then to cover it in plastic or some other afterthought. The outside space is just as important as the interior on a large block with a view so make sure you have that well thought through with the architect. I grew up and have lived in very windy areas so to enjoy the whole site, take that into account and don't try to keep it at bay. The wind will win if you do. Find alternatives that work.

Christine.