jacqui_unwin

Thoughts on a federation bathroom refresh.

Jacqui Godden
last year

Hi Houzz dreamers, We have recently undertaken a house remodel which looks amazing however one space that we didn't have the funds to redo was the kids bathroom. It is your typical Australian 3-way bathroom, built in the 90s with a faux federation look (think cream, burgundy and timber). We love the layout and really just want a cosmetic change to update, even just a bit! I am thinking of painting the vanity and mirror surround, updating tapware, light fittings and cupboard pulls but just not certain what might work. An accent colour in other parts of the house is a sage green, but I am worried if I use that as a possible paint colour it will just feed into the federation look! Anyone updated their federation look bathroom and what did you do?? Thoughts from anyone else!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    CHRISTINE HALL ARCHITECTS LTD
    last year

Hi Jacqui,

If you don't have the budget to change any of the tiles, there will be a limit to what impact you can achieve. I wouldn't for instance change the vanity top if you aren't changing the tiles. I would be hesitant to paint the timber vanity unless you want to have a lighter overall effect. The timber looks to be good quality hardwood so I would keep that.

As you suggest, change the hardware and tapware. Make these the same metal so it is more cohesive than the current white and brass mix.

As you suggest, a sage green would add to the fedration look in combination with the current tile colours. I'd just do white on the walls. If you really want a wall colour, I'd tint white towards the wall tile colour but lighter.

The window treatments are a bit dated and as you already have frosted glass, do you need any treatments at all? If you feel you still need some privacy for the bath, why not look at white plantation shutters to the bottom half of the windows?

If you are able to remove the mirror without too much damage, this is an opportunity to update the look. Either you could put two separate mirrors in front of each basin, or introduce lighting around the mirror or any number of options. I've attached a couple of ideas for you.

Your door handles are another opportunity but only if you have changed them in the rest of the house.

Good luck.

Christine.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

The taps over the bath appear to be cream , while the ones on the vanity look white ?

Just for a quick change , I'd go white taps , white paint on the top half of the walls ( they look a bit mushroomy at present ? ) , white vanity door handles ( in a modern style haha , not fake diamonds ! ) ,

How about something radical though with that mirror -- take it off the wall , mask the mirror itself , sand , and paint the frame bright red . No matter what age your kids are , it'll add a touch of colour that would work for children but also adults will relate ( whereas some 'kiddy' colours won't ) , and it will all work in together and take away some of the federation look . You could even double down with maybe a red soap holder and red handtowel , done for under $1000 and a weekend !

• Kate
    last year

Remove the mirror and type two courses of the wall tile. Patch and paint. Then add new mirrors back in maybe with storage or combination of open shelves. . If the cabinet is in need or renew try painting it your wall colour. For a cheap floor add some levelling compound and then lay some vinyl. Remove the blinds and macrame pot hanger which also date the space and the taps. All depends on budget if you want to pull out vanity

• Jacqui G
    last year

Thanks folks. I should have said walls did get painted fresh white and I was wondering about tile paint to disguise feature tile row. Appreciate your thoughts, I’ll consider how some could be implemented.

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Love the vanity, just by changing the tap ware cupboard and door handles would look beautiful, paint out the feature tile, Dulux renovation paint will do this, if you wanted to incorporate sage, do it with your towels, remove blind, could look gorgeous with just a few updates.

• Jacqui G
    last year

Hmm quite like these ideas! Thanks everyone