caroline_perry

Update on my facade (number 473)

C P
last year

Hi all
You may or may not recall my endless navel gazing regarding my facade. I'm very pleased to report on my progress to date. It's not finalised, the stairs and surrounds need paving. Mulch and lights also need to go on. But you should have a gist of how it's going to far.
My angst over pavers was unnecessary, they are lovely thankfully. I love the black retaining wall and as hoped this has resolved my dilemma of needing to paint the entire facade. I'm still going to change front door and probably just go black (I'd love it to be metallic but most of those paints aren't suitable for outdoors).
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I also want some sort of sculpture or oversized boulders on the gravel bit.

Comments (22)

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry I can't link it to any of my earlier posts.  It seems impossible to do that on your own profile.

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

These copper lights are going on retaining wall. Apparently spraying with WD40 will delay them turning green.  Not that I mind that look but would be nice to keep them shiny for a while.

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately I buggered up buying new letterbox which looks like a bloody filling cabinet and which husband insisted needed to be on this side for opening.  I have a can of rustoleum spray paint to try and get rid of the fake timber look (what was I thinking when I didn't just get straight black).

• oklouise
    last year

it all looks gorgeous, well done to you and your husband

• Kate
    last year

Paint the letter box red to match your front door and it will look awesome. Love all your changes well done

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Looks stunning C P , everything is coming together beautifully, love the idea of artwork for the garden, maybe in corten would look fabulous.

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Love your lights , love the black wall, looks fabulous. Thank you so much for taking us on your journey, it’s great to see it all come to fruition, love it ❤️

• Jan Dobson
    last year

The final look is peeking through, and it’s going to be beautiful. You must be so pleased.
    Well done!

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

Red is an interesting thought Kate. There are people near us who went for a bright yellow letterbox assuming it would be funky.  Unfortunately everytime I drive past in reminded of a "sharps bin" which the letter box shape really adds to.

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

Julie I agree the corten would look good with our edging. Unfortunately I find most reasonably priced corten structures are a bit under sized and twee looking.

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

I'd rather like a rough bench either stone like this 

https://pin.it/3lKkIt0

• C P
    Original Author
    last year
  • Julie Herbert
    last year

Absolutely, either is gorgeous, you are definitely me lol ❤️

• C P
    Original Author
    last year

Well Julie I always love your inspiration photos

• C P
    Original Author
    last year
  • C P
    Original Author
    last year

Crumbs there are some dodgy photography skills on display there.  Fingers and lights and all. 

I won't be giving up my day job.

• User
    last year

It looks good CP !

My cunning trick on the letterbox would be some big numbers , painted in the brightest red you can get ( rather than do the whole letterbox red ) as it will then be obvious what it is , and it will then match the next coat of paint on the front door too . . . . . . . . . . .

Overall though , I love the mix of tones , textures and colours , but all intelligently done around a planned theme ! With the door done a brighter red , and 1 or 2 of those large bright red glazed 'ali baba' pots ,it will be great !

• Kay Bodman
    last year

Suggestion, some Cotten edging from Bunnings put on the letterbox in stripes to repeat the underskirt of the deck. I also plug for a red door and matching house numbers, cherry and welcoming. A black door maybe just too much dragging the house down. Black should a backdrop to some great lively features.

• C P
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Wish I'd been organised enough to plant some bulbs earlier this year.

Or it would have been nice to have some hellebores, still it's about to pop to life in a month for Spring

• bigreader
    8 months ago

If you pop on the Gardening with Angus site and use the plant selector, you’ll be able to pick some winter flowering natives which would suit your landscape.

C P thanked bigreader
  • Julie Herbert
    8 months ago

Looks beautiful, love how you have incorporated the tree into your decking, you could maybe mirror your corten planter in front of light wall on deck, garden in spring will look wonderful and give another dimension to the overall look, looks fabulous.