lovemetinder

Oil based primer not dry after a week

lovemetinder
last year

Melbourne, Australia.

I thinly brushed on primer plain scotia quads with Dulux 3-in-1 primer and turpentine.

Window and doors have been opened all week.

Weather has been wet, cool, sometimes warm and sunny.

I can still leave nail marks in parts.

Should I just strip and sand it, and use water based?

I want to gun spray paint after 2 coats of primer.

Scotia is being colour matched to glossy kitchen cabinets, to cover hybrid flooring gaps.

Comments (4)

• bigreader
    last year

Why did you add turpentine to the Dulux product? Has Melbourne’s weather been within the specifications for the Primer? I would have thought it was a bit damp for it. I’d give the Dulux helpline a call before you do anything. On another note I’d have matches the scotia to the floor colour not the cabinetry.

• lovemetinder
    Original Author
    last year

@bigreader I added mineral turpentine to make brushing smoother (it's within specifications).

I've had issues with drying Dulux oil based paints (spraying) with both turp and thinner. Even when the weather is warmer. I might have to brush even thinner layers. Right now this first layer of primer has dried in most spots. I don't know how to speed up the drying. Would a fan help? I prefer matching to cabinets, looks more like a feature than an add-on to tidy up work.

• bigreader
    last year

If you have a dehumidifier I’d try that but a fan may also help. I live in a similar climate to Melbourne in SW VIC and haven’t had that problem with Dulux products which is what I generally use at home. The next four days is meant to be quite wet so be patient. Scotia is always going to look like an add on because it is - not necessarily a bad thing, it’s common with floating floors. Sometimes you have to have functionality over looks.

• Camilo Vargas
    last year

iMEX is a lead brand of Laser levels and construction tools for all trades. It's range includes rotary laser levels, multi line laser, line and dot lasers, tiling lasers and more.

The iMEX LX22 Crossline laser is the best laser with the new technology for tradies.

The iMEX LX3DG Multiline Laser is a multi line laser level with everything. Now with PreciseALIGN™ fine adjustment to get that perfect 90-degree set out.

The iMEX LX25 Line and Dot laser offers the same leading Imex laser-edge technology with high visibility green dots and lines. Now with all-new, sturdy quick release magnetic bracket to secure the laser level without screws!

You can find the iMEX range in every city in Australia or online.