webuser_53515471566

Screening a garden from neighbours that rises up from the house

Rachel B
last year
last modified: last year

We've recently bought a house with a garden that slopes up from the house. It is a victorian semi-detached house with a largely rectangular garden of about 27m long and 8m wide. The houses in the row all run in a straight line with the gardens all running in straight lines back from the houses. There is a patio that extends to about 6m from the house and is level with the house, but then the lawn is up 5 steps, which is about 1m above the patio, and from that point on, the rest of the garden slopes gradually up from there so at the rear its probably 1.5m-2m+ higher than the patio and the house. We are joined to the neighbours on the left side and as the they have many screening trees and shrubs in their garden we can't see them very much, but we have non-adjoining neighbours on the right side (when looking from the house into the garden) and on that side we can see into their garden and be seen in ours.

When we bought the house there was a large tree which screened the garden from the neighbours but we have had to remove it on the advice of the surveyor as it was too near the sewer. We have now been left with a very exposed stretch of patio with no plants and because the garden rises up, we feel like we're in a goldfish bowl in the garden and are completely on show to the neighbours on this side. As it turns out, they aren't the friendliest people which is making me feel quite uncomfortable when I go out into the garden.

I'm looking for some suggestions as to how we can create some privacy quickly. Even with a taller fence, the neighbours can see everything we do in the whole of the garden from their upstairs windows as their eyeline runs at 45 degrees across the patio and onto the lawn. We can't plant any new trees in the patio area due to the sewer. I'm guessing we could use some potted plants, but they would need to be at least 7m tall in order to begin to provide any screening. I'd love some suggestions please, I've searched the internet relentlessly but I'm struggling to find any articles or photos that highlights the specific problem of a garden that rises up from the houses. Thanks

Comments (8)