mehul_parekh

POLL: What do you do with your driveway if you convert your garage?

MP Seahawks
last year
last modified: last year

I live in one of the Suburbs of Seattle. I have a detached garage with the furnished room above shown behind green arrows. The garage has space for two cars and the room above has around 320 square feet of space. The mother-in-law unit has a separate entry but no toilet/bathroom. I use it for the home office. I am exploring extending my detached garage to the same boundary line as my primary home. My garage will come forward and I will gain around 500 sqft (28*18) with an extension. I want to extend the room above the garage to almost the same size (around 450 sq ft). Total around 950-1000 sq ft. After extension, both cars will continue to be parked in the covered garage and leave additional room in the backside of the Garage. I want to add a bathroom and toilet to improve the usability of the room above. In my area, square feet price is around 450 to 500$ so adding 900 SQ FT can potentially increase the home value. I live close to the main street in a residential area. Probably, My wife or someone can use the room above for Home Montessori space. I can consider a short or long-term lease for one bedroom space (750 sq ft). I need input from others on how to use the room above or new additional space in the Garage. Please share your perspective about the idea, feasibility, challenges or risks, is it worth the return of investments, as I expect it to take a considerable amount of money?

Comments (22)