webuser_601326202

Bamboo Cabinetry

We are building a new home in British Columbia and really like the look and eco friendliness of bamboo for our kitchen cabinets and possibly bathroom vanities. We will have honed concrete floors throughout and accent Douglas-fir (beam, window sills and interior doors). Do you think a natural bamboo would go well with the more reddish fir? Some, not all, bamboo samples look quite yellowish and I am concerned about how the bamboo will weather over time. Thoughts? Your projects look beautiful!

Sampling of Contemporary Bathroom Vanities · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    AlterECO, Inc.
    last year

I love the intentions for your remodel, Leanne. sounds beautiful. I grew up in in the architectural cast stone ("gourmet concrete") business, and I love how well it works with natural materials. We have done many projects that had Doug Fir as a design element in the ways you note, as well as much more expansive surfaces, such as floors and ceilings (and for years we built custom furniture with salvage fir and redwood merged with bamboo,. The materials resonate beautifully,

The "natural" bamboo you mention is bamboo that is is not caramelized/carbonized and thus is the "natural" color of the bamboo - and that does tend toward a yellowish/straw tone. That can work nicely, unless of course you are not a fan of colors that tend toward a shade of yellow. The amber/brown-leaning bamboo (what we call caramelized and is often referred to as carbonized) sounds like a better fit for your tastes. The color will tend to mellow over time, depending on the amount of direct exposure to sunlight, but the change is gradual and has worked well for our clients in hundreds of applications. And, if you go with a natural oil finish, then you will restore the original color when you do the occasional refresh of the finish.