webuser_83620128

Gaps in floorboards

Belinda X
last year

Hi, when we got our 50s hardwood floorboards polished the guys only filled in some gaps buy left others (as seen in pics). Their reason was that the gaps that were left were a few millimetres too wide and that the filler would eventually crack. Is this true? Anyway the gaps really annoy me. Is there any other way they can be filled?

Comments (6)

• Belinda X
    Original Author
    last year

Ok so the gaps are meant to be there then?

• dreamer
    last year

• Anne Monsour
    last year

Old timber houses will have gaps and eventually in time so will the new ones . I have lived in an old 1888 Bank building and the gaps are there . It is part of the character of older homes . Our present home was built in 1982 and there are gaps in the flooring . Our 1928 worker’s cottage flooring has just been redone and lo the gaps are still there . Learn to love the history . If I get time , I will take some photos .

• Belinda X
    Original Author
    last year

amonymousanne please do upload some photos your houses sound beautiful!

• Sahra O'Bryan
    last year

we also have 1884 floorboards with gaps, although they do annoy me from a cleaning perspective, they still are beautiful. Sadly, we can't re polish as they are too thin and would likely be damaged, otherwise I would pay to have them restored and filled where necessary!