webuser_509035859

Approval required for retaining wall?

HU-509035859
last year

So we are building in Ipswich, QLD and are now looking at retaining walls. Rough in has just been completed on our build. The neighbours house has just completed and their block sits ~600mm above ours. Our block has been levelled on their side and has generated a 600mm square drop down to ours. We would like to retain close to the boundary (700mm from boundary line) at 600mm high, forming a garden bed of sorts. This will keep us further than 1.5m from their house for the most part. Here is the problem though, their garage is built to boundary. Most information I have seen specifies no closer than 1.5m to a structure or wall etc unless engineered and council approved etc. I have however seen information suggesting that is only required if the wall is supporting a structure or another wall. This isn't the case, as I'm pretty sure that their garage is supported by the house footings, otherwise it would have already started to fall apart. Long story short, do we need approval for a wall within 1.5m of their garage if it isn't supporting it and is really being build to stop loose dirt washing away and for aesthetic purposes?

Comment (1)