webuser_834813929

Treatments for existing kitchen timber benchtops.

Silvia Jones
last year
last modified: last year

Ive got a dark kitchen, probably colonial pseudo baltic pine. Timber cabinets, and oregon timber worktop. Im not in a position to change too much. My greysink corotone, ugh needs replacing, Im sick of it, and it stains horribly. Ikea tap has failed. I started looking for double sink s/s and then the job got bigger and bigger. My current sink is 500 x 1146, Ive got a s/s ready to go that maybe is a smidge smaller on the length. I was going to get my plumber to take out the old sink, as Im not sure of the exact cut out size. that wld give me the opportunity to re-do timber. The oregon benchtops have worn in one place, they were treated with 2 pack 30 years ago and are a dark honey which I dont like. I started sanding the bad part of the bench top down and have completed a good 1/2 square meter. I dont want to put another 2 pack on the benchtop. I researched organoil, that will take 2 coats, but it will make it darkish. They suggested that if I wet a small part of timber with water, then that will be my finished colour....did that not that keen looks to similar to what Ive had for years. I then got it into my head to limewash in a very light ivory (not white) and Feast Watson have suggested their Liming white for floor finish and 2 coats of Cabots clear water based sealer. Has anyone limewashed kitchen benchtops and what did they use to seal it in? Apparently water based sealer does not go yellow. Not sure how long wearing water based sealer is. The organoil may be the go, but I would like something lighter.

Comment