webuser_291823721

would you change my kitchen layout?

Coming to crunch time and need to decide if I’ll have my fridge in or out of the pantry. Take a look at the plan and give me your opinions on what you like or dislike. The “shelves” will be a broom/mop cupboard and the “lower use cupboards” will be some shelving.
Thanks

fridge in butler pantry
fridge out

Comments (24)

• Kate
    12 months ago

The fridge is fine but the external door is not as it will block access to fridge. Either delete door or change to sliding or outward opening.

• littleswamp
    12 months ago

I am in a similar position and have thought about this issue a lot. I have decided against putting my fridge in the pantry as we access the fridge so often during the day I felt it would be inefficient and irritating for it not to be near the prep area. Also I realised putting it where you have it -(ie in the corner opposite the WIP entrance) wouldn’t work as the doors would not be able to open fully against the wall. I think the French door I am looking at needs about 300 clearance if next to a wall for the doors to open fully. Hope it all goes well

• Related Discussions

Layout my kitchen!

Q

Comments (15)
    The first thing I require each of my clients to do before even starting the design layout is to choose their appliances. Your kitchen designer will need the manufacturer's specifications to know what size to make the cabinets to accommodate them. Be aware that there is required distances needed around and island, typically 36" up to 48" depending on placements of appliances. This will dictate the size and shape of the island. Clean lines, simplicity, innovative materials like glass countertops, exotic woods or Italian veneer slab doors, flip or lift up doors can add unexpected touches to a modern/ contemporary space. Here are some photos of one of my favorite Euro Modern kitchen I did for one of my clients not long ago.
    ...See More

Can you help me with my kitchen?

Q

Comments (0)
    I am building and my kitchen is a large space with plenty of storage and bench space but I don't know the best flow. I know I could place the fridge and oven along the wall opposite the sink in the island bench, but I would really like to put my sink under the window and keep the island bench free. Please note: the pantry is behind the kitchen. Can anyone offer me advice on what they think I should do and where they would place my fridge, oven, hob and sink / dishwasher so that my kitchen works effectively and efficiently? I would really appreciate your ideas. Tess
    ...See More

Kitchen Ninjas - what do you think? I would love your advice.

Q

Comments (0)
    I'd love your advice - Where would be the best placement of my appliances, sink, oven etc? I would love to have my sink under the window - do you think it could work?
    ...See More

Which layout would you choose with the sloped ceiling?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi we are renovating our kitchen and just wanting some opinions about the layout, finishes are not confirmed and it’s pretty rough but you get the idea. the ceiling slopes for the right hand side of the kitchen so trying to figure out how to make it look best. Original kitchen to get an idea of the ceiling. Thanks
    ...See More
  • dreamer
    12 months ago

Agree with Kate, the fridge in not “IN” the pantry like some designs you see. It is still easily accessible from the kitchen. The problem is the door. Delete the door. You have 600mm away large stackers doors, this will be enough access. You could look at making the door into a fixed full length window, maybe opaque, so the outside people can’t see the pantry mess. Also, the microwave is so far from the kitchen, I personally would put it near the fridge.

• dreamer
    12 months ago

And you have to ask yourself. Is the pantry going to be for storage only? Or for prep as well. If there will be food prep in there as well, then it needs a sink. Personally I would rather have a large kitchen with cupboard storage than a pantry with lots of “walking space”.

• dreamer
    12 months ago

Example rough sketch. The sink can be on wall with fridge and oven and built in microwave. Island is free of any appliances and still has an overhang for stools. Include a wall of full height storage for food and appliances. Look at reach in pantries. You get the same storage without the wasted walking space.

• Michael Williamson
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Thanks for the comments. This pic was an older draft but there will be a sink in the pantry. The biggest one is clearance for opening the fridge, something I hadn’t thought of!

• Michael Williamson
    Original Author
    12 months ago

We picture the space being used for toaster, kettle, coffee machine and once a day or sometime use things like a blender that can stay out for easier access without the rest of the kitchen being cluttered. Love these forums for the feedback and ideas.

• dreamer
    12 months ago

So if your coffee and tea making facilities are in the pantry, does that mean when having friends and guests over, you will be yelling or running around the corner into kitchen proper to ensure you are getting their beverage correct? “Do you have milk in your tea?” Etc etc I tend to think that a kitchen is a busy place and will always have something going on. It’s not a place that is a showpiece all the time. That’s only in magazines. .....My opinion only.

• R A
    12 months ago

Hi, 

Do also consider:

1. Where your dishes are relative to your dishwaser… More than a metre away e.g. in butler's pantry will be very very annoying. (Lesson learnt from experience)

2. Fridge: I'd keep it near your tea/coffee area and easy reach of when you are cooking. I would put it to left or right of your stove. 

3. The microwave and breakfast/tea coffee could be placed in the area marked 'lower user cupboards' down the walkway in the kitchen. Either keep this zone open and visible to the kitchen or use pocket doors that become hidden once open/bifold doors that stack to one side. Glass doors/cabintery door etc can be used.

All your breakfast spreads, cereal etc could be kept in overhead space next to mounted microwave. The toaster etc on pull out bases so the shelves overhead are not steamed/damaged when in use.

This way your fridge, tea/coffee, and cooking zones are near each other BUT you arent walking into each other either if others are using space. Imagine, person 1 making eggs & haloumi, person 2 toasting sourdough & getting coffee ready whilst both are chatting, grabbing items from the fridge. Then once cooking/toasting/brewing is done, seamlessly moving from kitchen to dining table or island or even outdoors to eat.

3. Consider a narrower butlers pantry just to store dry goods/pantry staples and in frequently used appliances e.g. rice cooker/pressure cooker etc. The current allowance is a lot. You could give some mm to your kitchen to add depth so fridge sits almost flush with cabintery in kitchen. Because you have a sink outdoors- having one in butlers isnt required unless you were moving the dishwasher into the butlers and using it as dedicated wash up space. If you did this, then a smaller sink (one that you could still wash a small pot) in kitchen on island but end closer to new breakfast zone and fridge is most practical.

4. If you haven't already- identify ALL your appliances (stove, oven, ftidge, dW, kettle, toaster etc etc) and sinks etc now and double check measurments to ensure cabintery depths are ok.  Then check your current plan. Unless you specify in writing and on plans you could end up with fridge eg jutting into your walkway.

5. Ps loving your outdoor space! Consider putting outdoor lounge setting along with dining setting or ditch the latter as your actual dining is so close by and you have great doors linking the space. Add some stools to the outdoor kitchen or an outdoor rolling island that can double up as sitting space outdoors but extend your serving area.

Thank you.

• R A
    12 months ago

I forgot one other detail- the flow from garage (or wherever groceries are brought in from) to your pantry- I would recommend adding a doorway to access pantry from more than 1 side. 

Also if you did create breakfast zone etc as marked on plan then it would be easy to pop in to grab that jar of peanut butter etc if you ran out. Or grab the popcorn for quick cooking in microwave.

Also means dirty dishes can be brought in from 2 directions...

• R A
    12 months ago

You could move your mop/broom into your pantry and then have an amazing breakfast,

station (hidden by pocket doors) AND a beautiful open tea & coffee, beverage station. 

If your study is behind the kitchen then also think about the ease of grabbing refreshment from pantry/coffee from this space instead of walking all the way around to grab your coffee, cold snack etc.

• Michael Williamson
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I thought I should add the rest of the plan for more context. I’ve listed lower use cupboards as it’s in a thoroughfare and that’s something we wanted to avoid. I also thought this would be a nice spot for deceptive shelving, indoor plants etc. The home has lots of storage already but we thought the large pantry, sink in there etc future proofs it for us and for resale in years to come. We’ve pictured the pantry to have the 2 min food items and use - toast, coffee, reheat food. We likely have some cutlery and crockery in the kitchen and pantry for ease of use.

• R A
    12 months ago

Hi Michael, 

You have a lovely overall floor plan. 

I know what you mean by 'throughfare' however you have a really lovely wide one.

We have also 1200 mm 'walkway' where our brekky zone and our tea zone etc are. All in reach of the fridge (in a working triangle zone). At 1200 mm you will have sufficient space for person(s) walking past and another standing making tea/breakfast. 

You can still have decorative items etc overhead where your coffee/tea area is if you have brekky zone replace the brooms. In the broom cupboard (ideally now in pantry) you could include powerpoint and wall mount a stick vaccum in the cupboard along with your host of cleaning items.

I should apologize btw- I placed 3 comments but the newest appears first so it will read funny! Probably best to read mine comments with the oldest first and work 'up'.

• R A
    12 months ago

Examples of gorgeous cabinetty, functionality and open shelving

• R A
    12 months ago

Examples of gorgeous cabinety, functionality and open shelving

• R A
    12 months ago

Examples of gorgeous cabintery, functionality and open shelving

• R A
    12 months ago

• R A
    12 months ago

• R A
    12 months ago

• R A
    12 months ago
  • R A
    12 months ago

• Kate
    12 months ago

Have you done a furniture layout for the lounge and dining to make sure you have the walkway from front door to kitchen in right spot

• Michael Williamson
    Original Author
    12 months ago

The kitchen area and alfresco is an extension, so we have furniture already in the formal lounge dining that we are happy with.

Thanks for the pics of the Breaky space. I do like the look of that and have the fridge near that end of the kitchen. It would probably make the current kitchen layout more practical.

• dreamer
    12 months ago

Same concept but longer with more room for all appliances.