alex_z92

Recently flooded house, timber foundation issue

Alex Z
11 months ago

Hi,

My house was flooded in the January event. The water came fast (in 1h) stayed for 4h and left in an hour or two. The underfloor was completely flooded and water came to 5-10cm above the floor level. The case was reported to insurance and they failed to act quickly leaving wet underfloor insulation in place for over 2 months. 3 months after the event, the house framing is now dry to below 18 degrees, and the underfloor area is still draying, with lower ends of the piles showing 50+ degrees humidity. Now, foundation timber has started showing cracks in it, new cracks appearing during the drying process and old cracks becoming larger/wider. The builders that the insurance sent few days ago suggested a check by structural engineers (mostly because I was insisting on that), but said that the cracks were not serious.

Can you please have a look at the cracks here (or: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgJIjFZR6Ls0h-t2i4SWIT24aqksrw?e=LPfG7i) and let me know what your thoughts are in relation to the seriousness of the cracks? In particular if you are an LBP or structurel engineer.

Regards,

Alex

Comment (1)