matt_flegler

help! exterior 80s fibro house. plus air con disguise

Jo Flegler
11 months ago

I’ve been flipping back and forth for months on what to do with my house exterior. We don’t have a huge budget but will be painting and landscaping. I can’t change the location of the gross air con unit in the front window, but can paint and/or disguise it with a screen.

Fence is neat black straight edge pool fence.

House colours, I’m thinking of black guttering, white fascia, and then I’m stuck haha
I hate the aluminium diamond grill windows but can’t afford to replace them, so I’m thinking of painting them. But do I go white or black?

I could do warm light grey walls (greyge) with white around the windows and black window frames? Thoughts?

We live in the tropics and are pretty confident in creating some nice landscaping but it’s the house I’m really stuck with.

What would you do? Totally upon to ideas.

Comments (11)

• dreamer
    11 months ago

Is the front glass sliding door, your front door? The reason I ask, is because, your home is giving a wonderful Mid Century Modern vibe. So with that theme any colour would look excellent. Could you possibly replace the sliding door with an actual door? Then you could paint that and it be a feature colour and take the eye away from the little air conditioner. Keep the side window next to door. You could definitely build a full ground to ceiling screen, maybe stained timber, maybe painted the same colour as your new door….. Inspiration photos below.

• Kate
    11 months ago

Love that orange. Yes I was thinking it was a mid century not 80’s.

• Jo Flegler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ooowww that top top picture is very inspiring! I actually think the orange is super cute and gives it that pop of colour.
    Yes the sliding door is unfortunately the front door. But I could chat with my builder friend about replacing it. We don’t have a whole lot of budget left but I know that street appeal is so important

• Jo Flegler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to think through a thorough reply

• Jo Flegler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

What do you think of this? Right direction? Which colour scheme?

• Julie Herbert
    11 months ago

Love the one with the yellow door, the white is beautiful.

• bigreader
    11 months ago

White with yellow is the winner.

• Hartmaa Hart
    11 months ago

The yellow /orange door is great. Be very careful that the undertone of the house colour and door are similar. If you do the door a cool clear orange, you’ll want a cool white and not any grey or warm undertone. As for air con, you can spray paint it any colour with Rustoleum 2x Primer and Paint or build a box around it and paint the box.
    Check out YouTube.
    I just did ours two days ago…

• Hartmaa Hart
    11 months ago

After

• dreamer
    11 months ago

White with the yellow door, fresh and inviting.

• Jo Flegler
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks everyone. Great ideas and things to keep in mind