torneyteam

tiny courtyard plantings and style advice

torneyteam
11 months ago

Hi there, we have a very small north facing courtyard in a strict strata complex. I’m keen to update this space as our living area looks onto it, but we won’t be able to paint or change the colorbond or pavers. I’m thinking we pull up all the plants that are there and start again (most are in pots but they will have grown through into the ground). Would love to cover as much of the colorbond as possible! Any ideas for a calming green outlook or plants that might work would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)

• dreamer
    11 months ago

Remove the existing plants CAREFULLY. They look healthy and need to be used in the new garden. Hardware stores such as Bunnings or Stratco, have numerous screens that can be attached to Colorbond fence to cover. There are also screens with inbuilt planters. Replant your existing plants into the ground or pots. If allowed, build a pergola structure for shade and hang pots from structure.

• torneyteam
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Dreamer! We won’t be allowed to build a pergola (nor is there room) as it might be seen from the common area garden space which apparently is not allowed. Also we were advised we shouldn’t keep the weeping fig (which I think is lovely) as they have invasive roots. But some of the screen images look great so I’ll definitely check them out. Thank you!

• Julie Herbert
    11 months ago

I would keep the weeping fig, maybe trim it a little, it’s lovely, and gives a lush look, I have one planted, haven’t found it invasive as it’s well watered, remove all small plants and put them into gorgeous planters, you could add outdoor seating (pillows can be removed on the rainy days) screens to cover fence as dreamer suggested, could be metal or timber or simple blue board painted in a colour that suits your style, could be a lovely space, and a beautiful outlook.