ryan_grey62

Weep holes for neighbours garage

Hello,

I’m sure this is a popular question and I’ve found it on many other forums but have struggled to find an answer so I’m asking it here.

My house is higher up then my neighbours and a retaining wall between my concrete path and there garage wall (my boundary wall) because of this I have a 300mm gap between neighbours house and my concrete path. Water pools up in that gap and because they are lower down water can get into neighbours weep holes. I want to fill it with crush rock and raise weep holes higher. Is this possible?

My only other option is dig down further and out a drain the length on neighbours garage. But then I’ll have this ugly trench between my neighbours wall and my concrete path.

What’s the best way to go about this that won’t compromise the structural integrity of my neighbours wall and that does comply with the standards?

(Victoria, Australia)

Thank you

Comments (4)

• Kate
    10 months ago

You need to talk to a licences plumber or drainage engineer

• User
    10 months ago

Be very very careful . I can't quite understand some of that , but if you raise the weep holes , if I understand correctly , that may let water on your side of the retaining wall , to build up . This makes the soil damp and also heavier , so you run the risk of pressure and weight building up , and this wall may let go .

As Kate said , talk to an expert , but also your neighbours !

• dreamer
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Professional advice is what is required. The weep holes are intentional and created to help protect the building against damage caused from the build up of moisture inside the wall cavity. So you will have to be very careful with your neighbours wall. Something along the lines of this diagram may be worth looking into. Have a concrete swale or plastic swale to collect water before it enters the hole, then catch that water and redirect into your soak wells. A licensed plumber is definitely required for professional guidance.

• siriuskey
    10 months ago

You need professional advice