sushma19s

Staircase alignment

Sush
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hi all,

Asking your opinion on our staircase. Our architect made a mistake with the dimensions of the staircase and we realised it too late after the stairs spine was installed. The top 2 stairs is 935mm in length and all other stairs are 1100mm. We are looking to add black pegs on the stairs to run glass balustrade for support. The spine already looks off centre due to the length of stairs. Any suggestions on what can be done so the stairs look ok if not great?

At this stage, any suggestions / opinions is greatly appreciated as I am very disappointed with how the staircase turned out. My husband is ok with it but I know I will not be happy when I see it everyday so want to try fix this if we can.

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• Julie Herbert
    9 months ago

Once your glass railing goes in I don’t think you will notice at all, it will look beautiful.

Sush thanked Julie Herbert
  • dreamer
    9 months ago

I would be more concerned about the mess on your newly laid tiles.

• Julie Herbert
    9 months ago

And the secret is like anything, don’t point it out and no one will notice, it will look great, can’t wait to see it .

Sush thanked Julie Herbert
  • Kate
    9 months ago

Agree you will love the extra width

Sush thanked Kate
  • Sush
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thanks everyone. I agree with you all, we’ve always loved 1100mm stair treads and that what’s we always wanted them so bad but it turned out this way. The riser spine not coming in the middle was my only concern but looks like I just have to try unsee it once we start using it everyday.

@Julie - thanks so much for the photos, the stairs do look amazing!

• siriuskey
    9 months ago

Are you having a glass balustrade on the landing left of the stairs,? I can see that because of the step in 935mm on the top two steps you could need the hand rail on the R/H wall of the stairs which could look great in black or timber or both,

The glass balustrade would start on the third step so the following example could add Architectural detail by using the extra width 1100 as a feature this would still give a visual appearance of the full width. and help balance the stair spine

165mm is the difference between the stair widths, glass 10-15mm.

Perhaps even consider painting the door under the stairs black could also help with balancing. (This example doesn't show a spine))

https://solymos-design.net/hu/lebego-lepcso/

Sush thanked siriuskey
  • Sush
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Siriuskey - thanks so much. This gave me a different perspective. Love your idea - will follow this for sure!

• Julie Herbert
    9 months ago

Beautiful, siriuskey ❤️

• siriuskey
    9 months ago

Look forward to seeing what you do, the following is FYI

https://structglass.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/structglass-blog-op03.pdf

Sush thanked siriuskey