balaji_mohan58

Garage back door within setback

b Moh
8 months ago

Below garage backside door is swinging inside garage and this door is within 1500mm setback between fence and external wall. As this door is within minimum setback requirement of 900mm from boundary, we need to provide fire rated door to comply with Australian standard. Door with glass could get complicated as glass should also be fire rated. Also we need to check with certifier at CC stage if that is acceptable. - Fire rated door will cost extra if certifier accepts. owner needs to accept $1200 before we check with certifier. My garage external wall is sitting on zero lot. Any alternate option here or I have to go with above builder comments.

Comments (6)

• dreamer
    8 months ago

Why can’t the door swing outwards? The garage is small, so the swing of the door will take up valuable space. No need for glass door. My garage is on the zero lot line. Same design as yours with door swinging out to a 1500mm wide walkway down the side of the home. I have a normal door. A fire door was not required.

• b Moh
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Initially I asked to keep it to swing outside but architect told it's fine to swing inside. I have one kia sedan but may buy another car in future. Both builder and architect told me to be ready to pay extra in case certier asked for fire rated door. I want half glass door here bec no window in my garage due to zero lot wall

• Kate
    8 months ago

Your garage is not 6m in length and the door opens so definitely swing door outward. Fire proofing depends on bal rating too. You will have to research your options for you bal rating

• b Moh
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Will door bangs if it's swinging outside and left it as opened. I agree it's tight space. If it's swing inside I can have door stopper. I think outside too I can 🤔

• dreamer
    8 months ago

As said previously, we have this set up at our home. The door should swing outside, your garage is small.
    After hand over install a barrel bolt on door, so when the door is open,you can anchor the bolt into ground. My husband installed and drilled hole into brick pavers to anchor bolt. We also installed a small weather protection awning to protect door. If you are not a person who can do this, then get a handyman around to install. No need for a glass door. Install a light in the garage.

• b Moh
    Original Author
    8 months ago

thats really good . this is how i want to do. thanks a lot for sharing the image and much appreciated :-)