hzdeleted_69318469

Australian Indigenous ( Aboriginal ) Art

User
8 months ago

Hi , I seem to recall a couple of regular posters here have made some recommendations about Aboriginal Indigenous Art .

As some of you know , I am from New Zealand but helping my cousin , who was Sydney based , getting relocated back to New Zealand . In her upmarket apartment , she has around 80 works of art , mostly original , from all around the world . Around about 40 of them are Aboriginal . It is likely most of them will be sold or otherwise sold or donated .

My cousin has dimentia and has had a stroke , so communication is slow , but quite a few she has purchased from a company called Art Mob , and she has suggested I contact them with a view to selling or auctioning them . Art Mob , looking at their website , are based in Tasmania .

Google shows some Sydney based 'art experts' , and one crowd called Lawsons ( Auctioneers ) seem to interest me . There is a slight bonus in that , as well as being Sydney based with online and live auctions , that they also do regular fine wine auctions ( my cousin has around 180 bottles of wine that we are still resolving what to do with ) .

My cousin seems keen on Art Mob , she has used them to purchase previously , and they know some of the works . Apparently , she has paid up to $40k for some of these .

I will also bring up something that she is quite 'strong' about -- she says that she wants the works sold to people with an understanding of the cultural issues and what these mean to the artists and similar notions . I don't want to be too insensitive , but if an artist charges $40k for a piece of board with 300 swirls in traditional colours or similar , well you can guess my thoughts involving themes like 'theres only a few suckers so grab whoever you can' and the like .

Anyway , anyone had any dealings with Art Mob or Lawsons or any other art dealers or auctioneers who are knowledgeable and likely to get a fair return , for these paintings ? Any recommendations or advice is gratefully received . Thanks

Comments (2)

• bigreader
    8 months ago

Lawsons have been around for ages and have a good share of the market. They do appraisals

User thanked bigreader
  • User
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks -- yes , that tied in with my thoughts . Unfortunately its not my decision , but I suspect my aunty can be talked around , even if my cousin can't be by me .