kaps34

Exposing steel beams downstairs room

Kerri
8 months ago

I’m going to renovate downstairs and was thinking of exposing the steel beams. They have been boxed in with gyprock.
In line with if you can’t hide it make it a feature. I’m thinking it will make the room and ceiling less bulky and closed in. I don’t know if they glue gyprock to beam or there’s timber batons which would make it smaller once removed.

Comments (10)

• bigreader
    8 months ago

What’s your whole plan for renovating the area? You need to consider the beams in the context of the full room. There would normally be some timber battens used.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    8 months ago

We’re having people stay home n December so thought bedroom and lounge sort of area. Deciding on painting brick white.

• bigreader
    8 months ago

Leave the ceiling. Paint the brick white. Get a desperately needed better lighting layout. Make a cohesive plan for layout and furniture ie moodboard. Spend the money you’ve saved on the ceiling on some new furniture. You’ve got good bones to work with.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yes I have all that furniture on Marketplace. We would be doing all the work ourselves, paint and gyprock etc anyway.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I see what you mean now with beams on the block

• Kerri
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I was picturing my steel beams coming out something like this

• Kerri
    Original Author
    7 months ago

• bigreader
    7 months ago

The inspiration rooms you’ve posted appear to have a lot of natural light. Your room doesn’t. I like the look but be aware that a dark beam in a dark room will drag the ceiling down.

• Kerri
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Ok thanks for the tip. I just purchased my paint today so will start on the walls in the morning. I will leave the beam enclosed for now, so once the walls are white the beams should blend in too then.

I also had a look under the stairs where the beam continues and then wondered would the top of the beam be the top of the gyprock? If the gyprock hung lower than the top of the beam that would be a hard fix.