amanda_starr7

Is a retractable shade sail a roof structure?

Amanda Starr
2 months ago

I have engaged someone to construct a simple shade solution like the one pictured, involving two posts, a beam, wires running from the house to the beam and a series of shade sails which run along the wires. He has consulted an ex-draftsman friend who has advised that "any roof structure, even if it is a sail, needs to be drawn up by an engineer or architect as it needs to be wind rated". This seems ludicrous to me but I can't find any clear cut information defining such a structure as a roof structure or otherwise. I would have thought that wind ratings apply to permanent structures, and I would have thought that a retractable shade sail is not permanent in nature. Can anyone find some lovely definitions of a roofing structure and when wind ratings must be applied? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• dreamer
    2 months ago

I’m in WA, you don’t need council approval/building permit/engineering detail if you are in the suburbs of Perth (depending on size of structure). But, if you are the north of WA in cyclone area the. Yes you do.

• Amanda Starr
    Original Author
    2 months ago

You have enlightened me already. I'm in NSW. Size is not confirmed yet. What would be the maximum dimensions before requiring engineer's specs?

• rocksfam
    2 months ago

In NSW, it is a maximum 20sqm to be exempt development (not require consent from council) but if it is attached to the fascia, there is no size limit. The standards are in the attached link: https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/epi-2008-0572#pt.2-div.1-sdiv.36.

Depending where you are, you may be able to do a CDC rather than a DA and then you would need structural drawings.

A 5 minute phone call to your local council, ask for the duty planner and they will advise for free.

Amanda Starr thanked rocksfam
  • Amanda Starr
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you very much for this. Not the answer I was hoping for but very much appreciated nonetheless.