tamle86

Advice needed on Study nooks fir kids bedrooms

Tam Le
2 months ago

Are recessed (built in) study tables recommended for kids rooms? We have young three kids (6, 3 & 2) and thinking ahead. Do kids need these to study in their rooms? Is it better if built in or just buy a standalone table?
All their current rooms are around 3.5m x 3.5m. Are built in study desks a waste of space?

Comments (5)

• dreamer
    2 months ago

Look at the overall design of your home. Are you going to lose precious space in bathrooms etc because of having provided space in a bedroom for a built in desk. Having a built in desk may be more expensive to install than just a stand alone desk. Have you got enough wardrobe storage if you have a built in desk. As young primary school children, homework would usually be done in the family area, not the bedroom. It was only when my children were in high school and university that they had a quiet space in their room for study. Maybe just build an alcove in the bedroom, if you have floor space, which then can be used for a toy box or extra floor play space, and then purchase a stand alone desk when required.

• bigreader
    2 months ago

As above. A built in desk limits flexibility. On the other hand it gives a cohesive look but probably better in rooms that are a bit bigger than what you’re planning.

• Kate
    2 months ago

How will it be built in Is the a robe that makes the rest of space.

• Kate
    2 months ago

My daughter keeps rearranging her room. Desk in or out. It’s now a dressing table. My 20yr just sold his desk as it was his dumping ground now he has finished school. Will the location it will need to be when built in suit the use

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    last month

My kids had free standing desks in their rooms and used them sometimes. Mostly they spread out on dining table where we were. Or the kitchen bench which go rather crowded sometimes with all their books and laptops. I was determined they would have desks to encourage their studies and it worked but mostly they were out in family area with us and their books. the best encouragement tho was seeing their father and I both studying too. I thing free standing is best so they can move things round in their rooms as they wish...