andrewjason1

Pendant Lights Choice? Reflect outwards or just downwards

andrewjason1
last month
last modified: last month

I have an kitchen island bench with 4 chairs that easily fit. I am wanting to hang 3 x pendant lights over this island.

The kitchen flows onto an open plan dining and then TV area.

Q1

I prefer the open light on the left above but I dont want the light to shine on the TV making viewing hard. They both have ES style 45w globes. So that leaves something like the light on the right?

I was going to have them on a dimmer switch but wonder if even on low will it be too annoying for tv viewing creating a glare?

I want them to be able to be turned on in this big area as the only light when the activity has died down or is only TV watching.

It seems to be Ambient lighting vs Task focussed lighting.

any ideas or links to alternatives?

Q2

I realise I will divide the length by 4 and then place them like this

Q3

What height above the kitchen island bench? 55-70cm?

Update

Bench Height is 920mm

Ceiling to Floor is 24000mm

if i placed them at 1000mm above the benchtop as you suggest Dreamer I will be at 1920mm to the bottom of the pendant and then therre is roughly 500mm space above that to the ceiling.

Q4

Colour - its a white ceaser stone kitchen on wood floors, so I think a warm white more yellow coloured globe is best?

Comments (29)

• Kate
    last month

The Solis has an inner shade so it will glow rather than beam light out sideways. It says it is anti glare. Beware wire frames are more tricky to keep clean over time. Talk to beacon lighting about your concerns and proposed usage. They will provide the advice also on placement

andrewjason1 thanked Kate
  • dreamer
    last month

Where will the tv be placed in your area. On the wall opposite the pendant lights? Or on a side wall? How far will the tv be from the island in metres.

• dreamer
    last month

The bottom of the pendant should be around 1000mm from the bench top. It depends whether you are average height or you are very tall. You don’t want the pendants so low that they are in your eye line. I’m 162cm, and if the pendants from the bench were 55-70cm from the bench, I would be staring right at them, and they would be in the way, that would be annoying,

andrewjason1 thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    last month

My bench height is 900mm.

• dreamer
    last month

If your kitchen bench is standard 900mm plus the 1300mm to ceiling, which you have stated. That makes your ceiling only 2200mm high. Are you sure that is correct. If it is correct, then do you really want pendants?

• wendyec
    last month

Do you have additional lighting in your kitchen? I’ve had pendant lighting which only shined downwards and found it really annoying to work with. I’m going with clear shades in my new kitchen for better visibility but that could just be my poor eyesight and others may not be bothered by it. There is a Houzz story which gives a guide for pendant lighting heights and spacing.

andrewjason1 thanked wendyec
  • andrewjason1
    Original Author
    last month

Hi Dreamer, all

Bench Height is 920mm

Ceiling to Floor is 24000mm

if i placed them at 1000mm above the benchtop as you suggest Dreamer I will be at 1920mm to the bottom of the pendant and then therre is roughly 500mm space above that to the ceiling.

TV is about 9-10m away

Wendyec

I have plenty of downlights in Cold White which adequately lights up the kitchen for all tasks. These pendants are almost purely for cosmetic reasons, not for tasks. Though I just dont want the glare hitting the TV so I thought possibly i should get "task focussed" pendants that only shine down

Kate

good point re the frame on the Solis ones, I can only think one could use an air gun to dislodge built up dust, otherwise yes its quite hard to wet cloth it away, some of it will stay wedged in there. Given its a light i cant really pour water, even carefully over it to wash away the dust

• HU-519487616
    last month

I have some beuatiful porcelain pendants over my island bench. they give directional lighting and a warm soft light glows out. I bought them from Studio Enti in Sydney. They are really beutiful, .

www.studioenti.com.au. I am very happy.

• Kate
    last month

9 m is a long way away. 45w is max globe you could go smaller.

• Julie Herbert
    last month

If it is for cosmetic looks have a look at shine lighting, they have some beautiful stone pendants, also thinking they do not need to be straight across the island they could be in a cluster for a beautiful look.

• dreamer
    last month

Your ceiling is low at 2.4 metres. Therefore you will definitely have to look at the actual size/length of your pendant and hanging cable. The pictures that have been posted on this thread have all higher ceiling than yours. 500mm is plenty of room to hang a pendant if you purchase the correct size of pendant for your space.

• Julie Herbert
    last month

A lighting company will definitely help you choosing the correct size pendant/s and help with the perfect cable length. Will love to see what you choose.

• Kath
    last month

If the pendants are opposite your TV, then they are almost sure to reflect in the TV. Can you put some ambient light for watching TV somewhere else. Some lamps? We've got 3 of our living-room downlights (warm white) on a remote-controlled dimmer and that's what we use when watching TV. I like pendants as a feature over a kitchen bench, but maybe not best to have them turned on when watching TV.

• andrewjason1
    Original Author
    last month

Dreamer

The Solis Pendant, hopefully I have chosen the smallest

https://www.beaconlighting.com.au/solis-1-light-pendant-in-white

https://www.beaconlighting.com.au/media/catalog/product/file/linedrawing/011811_011811.pdf

so at 375mm length,

A)

900mm to Bench

1000mm to bottom of Pendant, now at 1900mm

plus 375mm of Pendant to 1900= 2275mm only 125mm of hanging cord from the ceiling which would look silly

B)

900mm to Bench

700mm to bottom of Pendant, now at 1700mm

plus 375mm of Pendant onto the 1700= 2075 leaving (2400-2075) = 375mm, acceptable?

• Kath
    last month

How tall are the people using the kitchen? Would you consider a light that is broader than it is high? For example this one is 350 x 230mm.

andrewjason1 thanked Kath
  • dreamer
    last month

But, item B. When the household members are standing at the island…is the pendant at 700mm above bench going to be in the way of working at the bench and people looking from kitchen island across the room?? It will be approx 1600mm not 1700mm. How tall are the household members, will they look below the pendant or right at it…..then that would be silly.

• dreamer
    last month

As a test, the bottom of overhead cabinets is usually around 700mm above bench. If you have overhead cabinets, look at that height and see if that would work for you. Do you look into the base of the cabinet?

• dreamer
    last month

• bigreader
    last month

Do you really need the pendants? You did say you had task lighting covered, so the pendants are for decoration? If you want to keep the functionality of being able to see the TV easily while using the kitchen you may need to consider how to add oomph elsewhere. But if you still want them - are there display homes near you, they will have modern low ceilings and pendant lights. Download a measuring app to your phone and got and check their placement and measurement.

• andrewjason1
    Original Author
    last month

Hi all

The tallest height person is 180cm, ones eyes are about 100mm lower? so I suppose if the bottom of the pendant is 1700 or lower it will block the view across to the TV from people working at the kitchen. But I am not worried about watching the TV whilst working on food prep

Cant I have the electrician shorten the hanging length? but that said what minimum length , visually do you think a pendant light needs to be to look okay.

A wider and shorter one might be the answer.

• Kath
    last month

Electricians should easily be able to shorten the hanging length.

• dreamer
    last month

It’s not necessarily people trying to watch tv while working at the kitchen island, it is more about comfortably having a conversion with people on the other side of island, or doing prep work on the kitchen island without having to dodge the low pendants. I have attached a simple to scale diagram to show you visually the issues if the pendants are too low…….the red lines are sight lines. Someone at 180cm would be at the exact height of a pendant hanging at 700mm above bench top.

• bigreader
    last month

Love the sight line stick figure.

• PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    last month

Hi there

From your drawing it looks like you have about 600mm from a 1800H person to ceiling which is fine, keep within that height. The choice on the right in your examples above will be a better option as they look like they would be around the 250 - 300mmH and let your electrician know so he can have the right chord length.

Make sure your globe is frosted so that light is diffused and go for a 2500K - 3000K bulb or even an edison if you just want a glow.

Great thinking, especiallly if you have someone tall in the family.

andrewjason1 thanked Lauren Shiels Interior Design
  • andrewjason1
    Original Author
    last month

Hi Dreamer, Lauren others

" It’s not necessarily people trying to watch tv while working at the kitchen island, it is more about comfortably having a conversion with people on the other side of island, or doing prep work on the kitchen island without having to dodge the low pendants. "

no dodging for prep work as its a wide island bench, tv not an issue but comfortably having a conversion with people on the other side is a point.

If I keep to within 600mm, being 2400mm ceiling height minus 1800mm tall person leaving 600mm.

I could have the Solis pendant at 375mm length and 225mm cord length being 375+225=600

so with the Solis

Floor

to bench 920mm

from bench to bottom of pendant 880mm (height above bench)

now at 1800mm from the floor

then Pendant at 375mm

Cord to ceiling at 225mm

• dreamer
    last month

Measurements are correct.

• Julie Herbert
    last month

Love them.