edubya

What do you collect?

Emily H
10 years ago
Is there something you collect? Dishes? Art? Pez dispensers?

If so, how do you display your collection in your home and incorporate it into your decor? Share your ideas here! (Photos encouraged)

Lum · More Info

Detail · More Info

Brentwood - Sullivan Canyon · More Info

Comments (66)

• Brenda
    10 years ago
    Pauline - love the pop up book collection. very unique
  • PRO
    Solarium Design Group Ltd.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If only I had one collection, but I have many. Here is an image of Apothecary Bottles, just one thing I collect. I built a glass case for them, and they are going into a powder room.
    Emily H thanked Solarium Design Group Ltd.
  • Related Discussions

Lots of pictures, photos and posters - what to do?

Q

Comments (4)
    Mod Podge is the best stuff for decoupaging. That is pretty much what you will be doing except with a much larger piece of paper. If you do this procedure make sure you coat the completed item as well, not just what you would do to make it bond onto the wood or canvas or whatever material you are using. Have fun!
    ...See More

Do you need tips for staging your home?

Q

Comments (6)
    I read an interesting comment somewhere, where a lady invited a group of her friends over to lovingly point out all the problems they saw (through fresh eyes) with her home on preparation for sale. She said she was surprised at marks and damage that she had lived with for so long she no longer noticed them. We "owner built" a home previously, and when we came to sell 7 years later, we painted the garage and did those jobs that we had put off, and it became sad to finally see her at her best, at the end, when we could have been living in a completely finished home all that time. I read about a lady who decluttered her home, had it professionally cleaned (build clean, or bond clean) and had a professional styler do her home and she realised just how nice it could be and decided not to sell. :) ta
    ...See More

Awful wardrobe - what do do? Need DIY ideas!

Q

Comments (11)
    I grew up with these panel doors and remember the glorious day they were replaced by a curtain. So if you are open to the idea, for ease of use, least effort and cost that's a simple fix that your daughter may want herself. The top cabinet doors can be considered a cornice for the drapes, and can be upholstered, maybe in the same fabric as her window curtains, and a simple drape with coordinating stripe on the bottom. Search "upholstered doors" on Houzz, and you will see ideas for nailhead trim, tufting, etc as well. You may also be able to add thin trim molding in a custom design to make them special. Good luck!
    ...See More

What do you love most about this kitchen?

Q

Comments (1)
    Pressed metal splashbacks are so rare! This is the first photo I've seen with a splashback like this and I'm really enjoying it.
    ...See More
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Pauline Do you have "The Many Mice of Mr. Brice?" That is one of my favorites!
  • phenderson
    10 years ago
    Wall Clocks -
    Emily H thanked phenderson
  • phenderson
    10 years ago
    I will down load a picture soon
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    Items from family that have passes, children's toys and artwork, so nothing for myself. Once children are grown our house will be empty... Boohoo
    Emily H thanked Jolene
  • PRO
    JC Redesigns
    10 years ago
    I have a collection of "Colbault" blue glass. I've even brought pieces home in my suit-case from Italy and the east coast of Canada. After I painted the wall green, the blue looked weird, so I had to add a few pieces of green glass into the mix.......
    Emily H thanked JC Redesigns
  • PRO
    JC Redesigns
    10 years ago
    The shelves were custom made just for the glass collection. I have another box stored in the basement that I don't have room to display. I change it up periodically.
  • PRO
    BathGems
    10 years ago
    I collect cash :) So far I have not found a good way to display it with out is going missing.
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    @BathGems.com , I believe every one has tried to collect cash but it always goes missing. Don't feel bad.. :) It's not personal . Cash acts like that with everyone..lol!!! It's kinda like the oppisite of those collecting dust bunnies. We don't want them displayed but they appear!!
  • PRO
    Lauryn Preller / Rep for Benjamin Moore
    10 years ago
    I was super big into seashells, but found them a bit difficult to display, so I put them in a pretty jar and made it a part of my bookshelf! Displaying curios and collections intermixed with books is a great way to turn them into a design feature in the room. If the object is lighter in color it can be especially striking to choose a dramatic hue for the back of the shelving. I love my moody teal with seashells or even a pearlescent finish for displaying glass objects.
    Emily H thanked Lauryn Preller / Rep for Benjamin Moore
  • amcok
    10 years ago
    I collect sand, rocks, polished stones and spheres.
    Emily H thanked amcok
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    Little late to this discussion but I LOVE the first reply from Brenda! Made my husband and I laugh out loud! Thanks for that Brenda! Cathy
  • PRO
    N.O.R,LLC
    10 years ago
    I have friend who collect small boat or ship every where she travel and she has a shelf all around her powder room and she put either picture of the boat or the piece it self.
    Emily H thanked N.O.R,LLC
  • andymeg
    10 years ago
    I collect tea infusers. They are displayed in a set of cubbies from Pottery Barn in my kitchen.
    Emily H thanked andymeg
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    Oh, yeah, and I collect coinop. Coin operated machines. Gumballs, jukebox, candy machines, games like pinball and bowling alleys. Getting ready to sell it off after moving it from house to house. It's getting to be too much work! ; ) And I collect space race Christmas ornaments. Rockets, robots, space ships. Fun!
    Emily H thanked beachcatt
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    Hey andymeg! I love the robot and rocket tea infusers! I never heard of them being different cool shapes like that! Are those two old? Very cute!
  • andymeg
    10 years ago
    No, they're very recent. You'd be amazed at the variety of shapes infusers come in—orange slices, strawberries, elephants, little teapots, frogs, robots, seashells. There are also a whole lot of new designs in silicone, which float in your teacup.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    Toy soldiers. I have 1000's of them from all historical periods. Greek archers to Desert Storm Special Forces. And sizes. From 8mm (1/2") to 54mm (2 1/4"). Artillery, boats, tanks, and airplanes
    Emily H thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    @andymeg my daughter showed me a link just a couple of days ago that had ducky and penguin infusers ....they were cute. I have a plastic lemon one. I may add a few of those in between my tea pot collection! I think they are soooo cute.
  • andymeg
    10 years ago
    @MKF Oooh, I don't have a penguin! Do you know what the website was?
  • Lisa Dolan Roth
    10 years ago
    I love my tea-rex silicone infuser!
  • Pauline Fearey
    10 years ago
    Emily, re mr Brice and his many mice, Dr seuss isn't as well known in the UK so hadn't heard pf that. Had a look online and it does seem rare (it's bloomin' expensive!) but I don't allow myself to spend more than £15 on the books and even a second hand Mr Brice is £50! But thanks for the heads up. There is a wonderful second hand bookstore in the lake district (in a railway station in Grange over Sands). I'll ask the man to keep an eye out. You never know!
    Emily H thanked Pauline Fearey
  • homily
    10 years ago
    I collect old mechanical music items .....Symphonions , old music boxes, singing birds in cages etc. I like to make them work again! Mainly they are German but I did bring a couple back from USA when I lived there.
    I come from a family who could never throw anything away that's my excuse...smile.
  • rwright9474
    10 years ago
    I'm also an avid thrifter and on yard sale Saturdays, I search for anything equestrian-related or basically anything Ralph Lauren would buy! Recent treasures:
    Emily H thanked rwright9474
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    As little as possible! Collected and gave up and gave it all to my daughter. Just ordinary decorating is complicated enough, what with my love of art, books, photography, color and pattern! It's too exhausting to even think of.
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    @andymeg, it was just a face book page for a tea shop in Greece!!
  • MKF
    10 years ago
    andymeg this is a cute site that has some unusuall tea infusers and other cute stuff http://www.toxel.com/tech/2010/01/19/12-cool-products-for-tea-lovers/ .....I think I may start a new collection....lol!!
  • sandypriestly
    10 years ago
    I collect teapots...and have them in my dining room on the feature wall...
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Teapots.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Memories .... too much of a neatnik for collections.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    I have a friend who had a huge collection of game boards which she displayed on a large wall that went up to her Cathedral ceiling in her living room. It was very beautiful.

Oasis, I also collect rocks! I have since I could walk. My mom has large coffee cans full of them in her basement. I try to use the larger ones around landscaping in my yard. I just love the colors & designs that nature has made! I have never bought any, but I pick them up everywhere I go. Some of my favorites are the smooth colorful ones that came from around Lake Superior in Canada. I was so scared they would search the car & I would get in trouble at the border when we came back into the US. :) I also love rocks that have fossils embedded in them.
  • novicenoodler
    10 years ago
    I am addicted to fine antique linens. Someone stop me!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I collect miniature high heel shoes, I wear heels all the time. Some are sets with co-ordinating purses and hats. Only enough to fit in my cabinet. I don't like overcrowding. I've asked my kids to not buy any more. I also have some inexpensive Victorian ladies in their finest dresses in the same cabinet. Some sentimental and important memories that are special.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    I don't really collect anything but recently I have unknowingly found myself over the months buying some cute kitchen items that have caught my eyes , because they looked cute but also for actual use too in kitchen. Teeny nutneg grater ( about 1 inch in size!), a tiny zucchini knife that cuts veggies into crinkled rounds, a small herb board chopper-half the size of a regular one. I have these exact ones in orange and green.
  • Faye McGriff
    10 years ago
    I collect three things. Antique glassware, (Flanders by Tiffin), Department 56 ( Christmas In The City), and Madame Alexander Dolls!
  • sunshinegirl3
    10 years ago
    Personally I like a very clean, comfortable and welcoming look. Clutter makes me want to run so I really do not collect things. I have many antiques and orginal paintings. All which are used and displayed for a pleasant visual an dnothing is cluttered. And though I find things I really do like since there is "no place" to put htem I don't buy them.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    chrisinky, you would be delighted if you ever find yourself in West Barnstable, Massachusetts at "Sandy Neck Beach" ...it is covered with colorful rocks. Years ago, we brought buckets home when we vacationed and now I still stuff a few in my pockets when we go.
  • taywel
    10 years ago
    My collection of pitchers!
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Edithsmom, maybe that will be one of my "retirement trips," although that's still several years away. I would like to visit the New England area so I will try to remember that beach. (I have several places I would like to visit around the country.) Thanks for the info!
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I collect crystal balls and antique trinket boxes.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Iron items, pewter,pottery, Celtic knots ,medieval,ceramics,tapestries, needle works, books, music,copper,tin,bronze,wood wares,furniture,photos. Also English Regency repros for daughter. Also pets.
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Your crystal balls look fantastic.
  • Terri Clark
    10 years ago
    Bulldogs, live ones and others of all kinds of materials.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I have a thing for pretty china gravy boats.
  • User
    10 years ago
    My husband collects coca cola memorabilia, such much of it, we had to give it its own room, honestly! Family and friends always find something to add to the collection.
    Now the room is known as the "Coke" room.
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    I collect vintage fans & toasters. My pics are on my laptop at home, but they all work too! :0)

I also collect Cobalt Blue glass. Some are blue & clear, and some have either pewter or sterling accents.

I try not to collect things that need much dusting...hehe
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Antique needlework samplers. I have them filling a gallery wall in my office (when they're not on loan to museums).
  • Pauline Fearey
    10 years ago
    Why do you collect whatever it is you collect? I've thought about why I collect pop up books. My first memorable book was Alice in Wonderland, to find a story about something I'd imagined (going through the mirror) was magical and fantasy/sci fi stories are my favourites. To turn a flat page and have it come towards me is a little like being drawn into the world of the book. And being totally cack-handed I so admire the craftmanship of a complicated pop up.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have a large printers tray full of miniatures. I've had it forty years. It's been displayed on the wall and also a coffee table. I'm getting it out again to hang in a room upstairs. That collection of miniatures tells a lot about me (: