mallory5nz

Percentage estimate for design versus construction cost

mallory5nz
10 years ago
What would be a reasonable expectation to spend on design (concept, plans, approval by city... but NOT management of the construction process) VERSUS cost of the project?

We are budgeting $100K for an addition/some remodeling of existing house and have gotten a quote from the architect for $10K to prepare an agreed-upon set of drawings, submit to council for approval (and make any necessary revisions they require).

My husband thinks that is astronomical but I'm not so sure. 10%?

Can anyone give me any ideas on if it sounds reasonable or high?

The only other quote I've gotten so far was from a DESIGNER (but he lacked creativity... he was merely drawing what I requested) and it was only $1000 for the initial set of drawings. I hadn't gotten a quote from him to submit to Council for approval and do necessary revisions. The new architects quote was charging $2500 for that same part.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    10% is actually the rule of thumb number that I have heard used for years. Of that 10%, about 60% typically goes to construction docs and the other 40 goes to the earlier phases of the job. Pre-design, if any, is often done hourly. None of this is set in stone anywhere and it will vary depending on the designer's experience and overhead, the complexity and size of the job, etc.

There is certainly nothing alarming or unreasonable about asking 10%, and in design, as in most things, you generally get what you pay for.
    mallory5nz thanked HERE Design and Architecture
  • mallory5nz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My thoughts exactly. thanks!