wolfshirt26

Knocking out a couple of pillars

Richard Ambrosi
9 years ago
Okay, so in the front room of my house there are these two pillars, they seem just kinda awkward to me. If they weren't there, then the whole area would seem much bigger. One is just right in the middle of the room, and the other is connected to the exterior wall. This front room is currently being used as living room more towards the front and a formal/informal dining area (and office towards the back).
I am wondering how difficult it would be to take out these pillars (they are non-load bearing, I checked). Is it as simple as knocking them out and then patching up the header with some drywall and tape and then patching up the floor? does the same go for the pillar that is connected to the exterior wall?
Beyond that, should I even bother removing the pillars? would it even bring much more to the look of the room?
I am also thinking that if I remove the pillars that It would look best to remove the header as well, because it would just look like an odd protrusion out of the ceiling without the pillars. What do y'all think?
To sum: knock it all out? knock out just the pillars? or keep it all? and how difficult would it be?

Comments (10)