buckleup2000

Duvet or doona?

Luke Buckle
9 years ago
Duvet, doona, quilt... there are many opinions on what the correct word is for Australians when describing what lies on top of your bed sheets. The US even throws another word into the mix: comforter.

Which is the word that you use to describe that large, thick bed cover filled with feathers or artificial material?

Breakfast Point Apartment · More Info
Duvet
Doona
Quilt
Other (post in the comments)

Comments (11)

• Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    Luke,
    I shop on Ezibuy, as they have some nice bed linen at times, especially bed packs that include euro pillows and usually 3 small cushions.
    I quite like them and have three sets now.
    They use the word duvet at times and I too didn't know exactly what it was.
    Comforters on the other hand have a permanent cover that cannot be removed for laundering so I never buy these.
    I have a feather quilt for winter and a dacron or fibre quilt for summer.
    I never use an under sheet as it's so comfy not to have to be re-positioning the sheet all the time and folding it back over the doona dozens of times through the night.
    I simply wash the doona cover and all the pillow cases including the cushion covers every week if I'm laying down another colour scheme, it looks great and it's simple!!!
    I no longer own flat sheets only fitted sheets and doona covers!!
  • thinkforothers
    9 years ago
    Hello Barbara - don't you find it a nuisance having to take the duvet cover off the duvet inner every week??!!! Well, putting it back on I really mean!! I used to find it a really big job to get it back on evenly each time I washed the duvets (we have 3 in our house), as I"d literally disappear inside the duvet cover with the duvet, trying to get the end corners perfect! (and yes, I am vertically challenged!). Queen duvets are huge compared to me!

What I now do, is just put the duvet cover on top of the duvet - not in it - on top - like a sheet. It works a charm - but, I do use a top sheet as the kids and hubby prefer it. So that wouldn't work for you, as your duvet cover is like a top sheet. When we lived in America for 6 months, I honestly thought the hosts had forgotten to put the top sheet on our bed!!! :) Then when I helped re-make the bed, I realised that they don't use top sheets - just a duvet like you do! I still laugh when I think back on how I carefully tried not to have the duvet pulled up under my chin all week in case it got 'breathed' on!! :)
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    @thinkforothers,
    Ha-ha that's so funny about your American trip but yes I use the duvet as a top sheet.
    As for getting the dooda back into the cover, I have a pretty simple method and it doesn't take allot of effort nor does it include being swallowed up by the duvet in the process as you said ha-ha..... but there is a bit of back and forth around the bed.
    I flick the duvet open onto the bed, I grab the one corner of the doona head up towards the respective corner and pull the duvet back towards my hand a little too and place it down, repeat on the other side, then I grab each top corner seperately holding the doona firmly in the corner and pull it up to the headboard, whilst walking back to the end of the bed I lift the cover slightly, allowing the doona to get further swallowed up by the cover, then I'm left with slipping either corner of the doona into the duvet.
    I do up the buttons then holding the bottom of the duvet, I flick the cover, towards the headboard, so that the doona edges forward in the cover and even flick the doona on both sides of the bed left to right and vice versa and it's usually perfect.
    Its very easy doing a single doona by again spreading the duvet over the bed, grab the doona corners, one in each hand, walk them up to the corners, lay it down then pick up the dooda by the top corners and shake a few times just straight down, even stand on a safe stool or on the bed and you will usually find the duvet with eaze it's way down with just the bottom corners to slip in and again voila!!!
    Unfortunately, when I bought two of my duvet sets from Ezibuy, I bought NZ king which is a bit wider that an Australian king size and I didn't know that at the time and I have a bit of slack on the sides but it doesn't cause any problems and what I mean by this is, that the doona doesn't slip all the way to the left or right, it does stay in place.
    Hope that explanation was clear, I should do a video ha-ha
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • thinkforothers
    9 years ago
    @barbara
    The above sounds interesting, and yes, a video would be good!! I just can't be bothered changing the duvets every week now, so prefer to use a top sheet. As to the NZ King size duvets - we deliberately bought that size for our kids single beds, and this is the reason why... The kids got annoyed by their duvets coming off in the night (due to restless sleeping), so I bought the King size, and the 'slack' that is left from using a single duvet inner, I tuck into the bed on the side that is against the wall. MAGIC! The duvets stay on their beds! And the side that faces the room, has a perfect looking duvet and inner. :)
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @thinkforothers,
    You have a family and so your time is more limited to what you feel you can do in a day but for me on the other hand, it's now just hubby and I, although during our busy harvest time, the bedding might stay on for dare I say, two weeks, when there just is not hours left in the day to do more!!
    Leave at 10am and get home at 10pm, at our busiest it can be worse, no complaints just facts!!
    Mind you, we shower just before bed evey night without exception, even when I'm struck down with a migraine and can no longer see properly, I will quickly shower before crashing into bed.
    I see you have been able to take advantage of the extra width in the king single covers for the children perfectly.
    That tucking in would have me screaming with chlaustrophobia, only with bedding or clothing and yet you could lock me in a closet and I'd be find, it's that personal contact, I need room to move ha-ha
    Gosh I wish Houzz has spell check, I just spent 10min trying to find out how to spell that big word ha-ha...go figure, it has a au not an os, probably a german word!!
    Had to open a word document, write the word and do a spell check ha-ha-ha-ha
    Well I'm off to drive the ute with the big mower aboard the trailer and follow hubby driving the tractor with the baler attached, whilst we head some 40km from home, to cut, rake and bale a clients hay crop, not in the one day but have to get the equipment there, (had to check that big word too ha-ha)
  • Louise Gibbons
    9 years ago
    Barbara I thought I had invented that method
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Louise,
    Ha-ha lets share in the invention!!!
    Perhaps you can do a video for @thinkforothers!!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • smiles4eva6393
    9 years ago
    I say duvet, but it might b because I come from England
  • thinkforothers
    9 years ago
    We say duvet too - and I'm from New Zealand, but that is English I suppose!
  • goneon
    8 years ago

Hey, I'm a pom and I remember the change from quilt on top to duvet (sometime in the 60"s I must have been sober!) A northern continental word! They are pretty nifty they button a sheet onto the sleeping side rather than wrangle the mass! we got the stuff it in a bag sort so after 50 years of practise its one a 2min job;)