andoverlakes

An Unfinished Living Room

andoverlakes
9 years ago
A while back we purchased a sofa, two chairs and ottoman for our living room. All is good; however I don't know how to proceed with finishing the room. To start, I'm not sure where to place the chairs. We like them in front of the windows but they seem too big in that space - especially with the existing end tables we have. I've included photos showing them in front of the window and also on each side of the room entrance. The room is approx. 12' x 14' - so not large. The sofa is 76" long. Do you think the end tables can work in the room or are they too heavy? I know our table lamps have to go. Any suggestions for that? Also, I love the mirrored chest that is on the wall opposite the windows however it looks pretty lonely there. The brown straight chair is an extra from our kitchen so it is not a must-have in this room. What do you suggest to make this room inviting? Thank you.

Comments (155)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

That would work if you can find a similar mirror.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this mirror at Pier 1. Very similar to the photo I posted above. 32" diameter. $159 less 20%. They state the color is Ivory - hand painted. Hmm....maybe I need to get some matte silver paint! What do you think? I'll have check it out at the store this weekend. Pier 1 Ivory Ornate Mirror

• Related Discussions

How do I design my living room around this chandelier?

Q

Comments (22)
    As chookchook said in her recommendation about painting, put a drop cloth on the floor. Get a very safe ladder. remove the lightbulbs, and cover the outlets. Turn off the electricity to the chandelier. Then spray it with a mild cleaner (I use one I found at Target that's basically water with vinegar, until it's dripping wet. Start at the bottom and work your way up, so you don't have dirty spray dripping on the bottom of the chandelier.Work your way up and down until the dripping spray is clean. The chandelier may be gorgeous and expensive, but it seems totally out of place in the architecture of the room--more at home in a chalet than a sunny room with a window wall. I would probably try to find a way to get it removed, and sell it to someone who appreciated it better than I.
    ...See More

Help! Living room dilemma

Q

Comments (29)
    I am planning to add scatter cushions and think if I do a pair of larger ones for each end so they go over the arms to creat height at each end, and a couple of smaller ones, I want to bring some colour in too. I do like the idea of a larger side light at either end to, Switching the sofas is going to be my final fix if all else fails!!
    ...See More

Living Room Interior Design & furniture setup ideas

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Rispah. Depending on how much seating you need, I'm assuming 2 x 3 seater sofas would be enough. I would consider the below layout. This option keeps the traffic from in and out of the exterior doors completely clear and creates a nice intimate setting for the living but still being open to the kitchen for social interaction. Alternatively you could have the sofas facing each other with one sofa backing to the kitchen which would be a more formal approach and encourage the view from outside those doors. If this option suited your lifestyle better, a slim styled sideboard is a great way to style the back view of your sofa.
    ...See More

Sunken living/dining room help

Q

Comments (1)
    I think you are wasting money . I'd leave the columns , do a couple of bi-fold aluminium doors , do a nice leather corner suite , and artwork , a Tv , make it more livable . I'd do a glass balustrade on the small stairs , 3 or 4 creeper type potplants and a couple of 'objects d'art' along the solid balustrade . Do you have another dining room ? If yes , make part of this an office/study ; if no , then a nice table and chairs . Right now , it looks unloved -- make it easier to fall in love with it , and you will !
    ...See More
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

Hi, I've been following the discussion a bit and know you're looking for a mirror. Just browsed through the Joss and Main site and saw this one. It's gold, so I don't know whether you like that. It's 32" and $ 134.95. I thought the shape is perfect with the chest. Don't know how wide the chest is, hope I've got the mirror size about right. https://www.jossandmain.com/Surrounded-by-Glamour-Galette-Wall-Mirror~FV30181~E17275.html

andoverlakes thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    9 years ago

The Pier 1

mirror

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

carolins - I think the plan is for the mirror to hang above the sofa and reflect the view. I do like that one.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Okay, missed that :-) Will put it over the sofa.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Here it is over the sofa, guestimated size

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

I still prefer a darker tone for the mirror - reason: to add weight and balance to that side of the room (left side has darker chairs, right side is all light and similar tones).

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't thank you all enough for all your input. So helpful! re: the mirror....My husband and I reviewed all the suggestions and now see your point about needing balance on both sides of the room and that an all silver mirror wouldn't accomplish that. Also, making sure patterns don't conflict. Thanks for your advice. You know better than I! We like the Kohls mirror that Ward Designs posted (35") Kohls safavieh-inca-sunburst-wall-mirror and also the style of the Joss/Main one posted by Carolins. Searching further, I see that Kohls has that same style mirror in antique gold finish (32"). Kohls safavieh-galaxy-wall-mirror.
    Of these two, we like the first one a bit better just because it's a little different and unexpected I guess. Also, the mirror appears to have a interlacing metal that is similar to the chair color. In your opinion, does one of these two mirrors work better than the other?

With either of these mirror choices, do you feel I'm staying in line with achieving that general monochromatic look with pops of color - so the room won't be pale? The aqua throw and sofa pillows should arrive next Tuesday.

We also finished painting the room. Did the BM Shenandoah Taupe on 3 walls and for now left the window wall as the existing Edgecomb Gray. We'll see as this project progresses what works best for that wall.

And lastly, the side table between the chairs. I like the idea of bringing the white and silver into the room. I guess I don't have enough vision yet to picture the finished look of the wall with it's white shelves (I certainly like the shelf idea). I guess that will come after the artwork is decided.

So, lots of thoughts here. I welcome your design advice. Thanks for your time!

• patrinkac
    9 years ago
    Someone may have suggested this. I haven't reached the bottom the thread yet but are your two end tables too large to use behind the sofa instead of the sofa table. Just a thought.....
    andoverlakes thanked patrinkac
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

I prefer the Inca sunburst - it's more substantial and a little more unique.

The white and chrome table was chosen for the same reason -- to bring something light to the dark side (Sounds like a line from a movie lol).

This is a little out of context but, is your BH a handy kind of guy - could he do a diy? Because you can also build a sofa shelf instead of buying a sofa table. You'll get the right height, depth and finish you want without looking forever and spending lots of $$s. Check google for step by step info for a hanging sofa shelf. (I build one for my girlfriend and we used old boards 2x6s and covered it all in a light grey mock ostrich leather and it looks fabulous).

andoverlakes thanked Ward Designs
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    I like the Inca also. Good suggestion Ward, about the sofa table.
    andoverlakes thanked glschisler
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ordered the Inca mirror! We like it too.

I found the white side table on Houzz - [Houzz White-Chrome-Metal-Accent-Table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/white-chrome-metal-accent-table-prvw-vr~13737417) but am a little confused - it reads the height is 18". Since I thought this wasn't going to work, I did some further web searches and found the same table on another site. There it shows the height is 24" and has length & depth as 18". So, I think this is a round table. Unfortunately, I don't get any results when I try to link to the store from Houzz. I'll check on this table in a day or so. By the way, did you see the title of the book sitting on the table in this picture? 'This Winter Is Not So Cold'. Haha - I think not!

Ward Designs - You asked about my husband's DIY skills. Well, they are not right up there. Your shelf sofa table sounds neat with the light gray mock leather covering. I even checked Craigslist to see if I might find something that would fit and just need some color touchup. I'll keep working on it.

Patrinkac -The end tables I have are too short to work behind the sofa and too wide to work along side the sofa. I'll have to find another home for them - even tho I really like them.

Thank you all for your ideas.

• Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    Move your pillows over a little closer to the sofa arms and add a lumbar pillow in the same shade of blue as your lamps in a small geometric print fabric. Pick up similar blue tones in artwork and perhaps a few accessories.
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a few more sofa tables that may be candidates. What do you think?

Overstock: Safavieh-Manny-Grey-Console 32.2"H x 59"L x 17.7"D $258

Overstock: Safavieh-Simon-Natural-Console 30.7"H x 64.8"L x 17.5"D $234

OneKings: One Kings Lane 35"H x 60"L x 20"D $389

Janiehburton - A few pillows and a throw are on order. Thanks.

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The Safavieh Manny Grey console is too short and not quite long enough, The Safavieh Simon is way to short, but length is good and the One Kings Lane is too tall and could be longer, depth is good.

Ideally the size of table s/b:

Same height as sofa or 1 inch less (so 34 or 33" tall)

The length could be anywhere between 68" to 78".

The depth (you have 22" between wall and sofa) 22 or 21" depth would work well, leaving approx. 1 inch space between sofa and table.

I found a couple at Restoration Hardware in the right size however, they are quite pricey and I'm not a fan of their quality.

Is there a local cabinet maker in your area - I am certain you could get one made for about $400. or less depending on your finishes.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ward Designs. Good idea. I'll contact a cabinet maker this week and see what a table might cost. Thanks for the dimensions too. I was thinking of a simple design like the table in this picture - maybe with tapered legs and possibly with one shelf added just below the top surface - depending on cost, of course. [Sofa table example[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/lake-michigan-retreat-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~405780)[[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/lake-michigan-retreat-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~405780) What color would you recommend the table be? Should the table be a heavy or light feel for that side of the room?

Sorry for all the questions. You've been so helpful.

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

That table is great - simple, modern lines, timeless.

I agree with tapered legs - it will make the table look less boxy, however, because the table is heavy looking as is, I wouldn't add a second shelf - keep it simple.

Regarding color - a darker rather than light finish would work best - but not too dark (again, because the table is a bit heavy looking). I don't mind the color shown in the pic, however, I think a pewter stained maple would look fabulous. (My hardwood floors are pewtered maple, and although they are grey, the golden tone of the maple comes through to give it a rich warm tone).

I've posted a pic, so you can get an idea, but the monitor does not do it justice - the golden tones are not showing up as well as they do in real life and the grey looks much darker in this pic. So I suggest you have a look at the wood before you decide.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even though I don't have the pillow forms yet, I had to share how great these pillow covers look in the LR. The gold really ties in the console and the dark brown ties in the chairs. Love them! Thank you Ward Designs! Mirror, throw, art print and accent table should arrive in a few days.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

Those arw nice, andoverlakes. You could pick up some light blue pillows that would go nice as well.

andoverlakes thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Very, very nice. What size are they? Lumbar style pillows always look best on a sofa when coupled with a large square pillow (16"x16" or 18"x18"). I would suggest a crisp, white, highly textured decorative pillow. (The white pillows will add presence to your sofa, making it appear slightly darker and a bit more prominent).

Below is a pic of the look you get when combining a lumbar cushion with a square. Also, are a couple of examples of beautifully textured white pillows (Pintrest). Another possibility is the faux white mink which would add some glamour and softness (Ebay).

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pillow covers measure 11 1/2" x 17 1/2". Thanks for your info re: white pillows. I'll keep an eye out for that type. Really like the first example you show.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received the art print and throw today. It's too bad you can't see in the photo The color of the throw is more turquoise than the bright blue it appears in the photo. It matches pretty well to the aqua in the pillows. My first inclination when seeing all the items in the room is that there is a a lot going on (patterns & colors). Not sure if it was because I put the print on the patterned ottoman or what, but it seemed really busy - not calming. I removed the throw and put the print on the console. It seems better. Do you think the artwork should be more subtle?

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Did you mean to post some photos of the items you mention?

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I hit Send too quickly. I was wondering too...The background of the lumbar pillows is off-white/cream. If I pair the lumbar pillows with a white, larger square pillow, will that add more 'busy' to the room? I'm not 100% sure about this art print yet. Do you think it should be a simpler abstract? Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks everyone.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

I thought you would get a gallery-wrapped canvas print, ready to hang. They are not that much more than the unframed prints. Ithink it will go well, actually. the colors are perfect. Maybe get an antique silver frame with a light grey mat? Would look great.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

Or even a brown mat to match the drawer fronts on the chest. There is also brown in the print itself.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

By the time you get that framed you'll have way too much money invested. I'd return it and look for a canvas print as Nancy suggested. How was the throw color described. You may find aqua, teal, turquoise to be indiscriminately used as descriptors.

andoverlakes thanked decoenthusiaste
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI, I wasn't able to find this artwork (artist Pol Ledent 'Watercolor Landscape') in a large enough canvas. I would have preferred canvas. I chatted with Art.com and they can't make it bigger.

I've checked a few other sites. Do you have any preferred art sites where I can further check? or even look for other canvas possibilities?

Re: the throw ... C&B calls it 'Aqua'. It is a good match with the pillow so I have no issue with that.

thanks for your input.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

When you get it framed it will be larger, and depending on the mat size, you should be able to get it 4-5" larger in both directions.

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Regarding the picture - I think you feel the room looks busy because that picture brought busyness into the room. The rest of the room has soft, calm versions of colors - the boldness of this print on top of an already heavily patterned console creates an unnecessary jolt on your accent wall. I believe the sepia flower or something soft and airy will bring the calm back. Also, don't forget that you will have shelves on that wall - You want that wall to look cohesive, and a bold colored print will only draw the eye to the center instead of the whole wall.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

I think the print is fine. You need a jolt of color in an otherwise very pastel room.

• Susan
    9 years ago

I noticed today on MyHabit.com they have canvas wrapped art in as large as 28 x 40....had some pretty "abstract landscapes" with various hues of blue you might want to look at!

andoverlakes thanked Susan
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ward Designs - You're right - that painting is drifting away from my desired tone-on-tone. It's too busy with all the other patterns. You make a good point about having everything on the accent wall cohesive. So, I'm revisiting the art choice. That white flower is coming back! I'll also check out the myHabit site - Thanks Susan.

On another note, the mirror arrived today. My husband and I are not keen on it. It's too shiny and copper looking. Plus quality is not there - dents here and there along the outside edges. I think it brings in another shade of brown to the room which I don't think is good. So, I came upon this mirror. It's from BedBath&Beyond -39" dia with a champagne finish. I know the recommendation is to bring the color of the console along with some weight to the sofa wall. This BB&B mirror just feels more in-line with the feeling of the room. I think it's simple (no additional pattern) and has interest and weight. Do you think this one would work? (fyi -lamp in this pic is our existing one - not planning to use in this room.)

Sorry for some rework here - Thank you all for continuing to help me out!

BedBathBeyond - Ren-Wil Dayton mirror - 39" dia.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Too bad the Kohls mirror doesn't work - but I see what you mean and it kind of looks cheap. The BBB mirror is very nice and because it has a solid frame around it should be weighty enough, but not sure it is dark enough.

I went to BB&B site and found a unique oval shaped mirror that would look great in your space. It's antiqued gold leaf with a grey wash. I think if you placed it to one side over your sofa table it could look quite stunning.

Here it is - what do you think? Maybe bring both home and see which one does the trick. (Sometimes you never know until you try it).

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Oh yes, I also wanted to comment on the cushions - I didn't realize the background was off white - and you're absolutely right the larger cushions should be off white as well. (Might be tough to find a match - best bet is to bring the cushion cover with you when you go looking OR take it to a fabric store and have them made, this might be the easiest option).

• Carolina
    9 years ago

I love that BB&B mirror!

• glschisler
    9 years ago
    I like your choice of the BB@B mirror. I hope it works for your. The flower pic was a choice mine too. The pillow covers are really nice.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago

Andoverlakes - Did you order the champagne mirror and the oval gold leaf or just the champagne?

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't ordered a new mirror yet. I thought it might be best to see the artwork on site first since both of the mirrors are not in stores and have to be ordered.

Re: the art. I called Great Big Canvas Friday night and asked them to confirm if the White Flower has a blue tint to it or if the blue is only seen when viewing on the monitor. I'm sure they'll get back to me on Monday. Then I'll decide between that one or new one Pencil Floral I.

Pencil Floral:
    http://static.greatbigcanvas.com/images/singlecanvas_thick_none/wild-apple-studios/pencil-floral-i,1052142.jpg?max=540

Thoughts on that?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Your link is not working for me. Can't see the art.

• andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the correct link: Pencil-floral-I

• PRO
    Faux Online
    9 years ago

Accenting one of the walls would also be a good idea, you can find good ideas for walls with these short video tutorials

at https://fauxonline.com/

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

The floral is pretty but without depth, which you need.

andoverlakes thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Susan
    9 years ago

Wayfair.com is where HGTV gets a lot of their stuff. Some of it is pretty tacky, but I saw a few I really liked!

• glschisler
    9 years ago
    I agree with Deco.
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI - I ordered the white flower canvas today. White Flower

I'll wait to verify this art works in the room before addressing which mirror.

Thank you all for your input.

• glschisler
    9 years ago
    Did you get the flower print & keep it? Do you like it?
  • andoverlakes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered the white flower canvas in sepia tone. However, the color did not work at all. The image actually looked pink when the lamps were on in the room. So, back to the drawing board. I'm taking my time to find the right thing. Thanks for asking.