bobthemagicman

How is the inverse arch made in the gate?

Justen Britain
9 years ago
This gate is beautiful in it's simplicity, I especially enjoy the inverse arch in the gate. Could you please help to understand how an inverse arch in the gate is created. Was it a larger piece of wood that it was cut out of? If so what tool did you use and how large was the original piece?
Robertson Barton · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Lovinger Robertson Landscape Architects
    9 years ago

Hi Justen,

That is both a complicated and easy answer. The easy part is that all of the curves in the fence (there are three rounded gates) were designed to be cut out of 2x10 or 2x12 cedar at the largest. You can imagine if you look a bit, that the bottom of the curve is no further than about 10 inches from the top edge of the gate. The complicated part was fiddling around for quite a while in AutoCAD to have the top of the gate line up with the adjacent fence rails, and the curves in the trellis pieces at the top of the gate to complete a circle sharing a center point and radius with the swinging gate. When the gate closes, the void between the two is a circle. All of these considerations, along with the overall visual balance of the gate and trellis were dependent on each other, and each shift in one affected the other. I am pleased you feel the result looks simple, that means to me that all that fiddling found a right balance. And, you are correct that it is made of rather simple and inexpensive materials.

As for the tools, sorry...I'm not sure, we commissioned Huckleberry Fence of Eugene, Oregon to realize the design from very detailed plans on our end.

Thanks for your interest!