robbies2000

Shower tile has out-of-square sliver at the top

robbies2000
7 years ago

We're in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Most shower tile (24x12") was laid out last Thursday / Friday. Friday night I noticed a visibly-out-of-square "sliver" tile at the top - 2.5" on the left, 1.5" on the right. I'd specifically given a drawing (attached) per their request, asking for ~6" borders at top/bottom to prevent issues like this, but also allowing some flexibility (didn't have to be *exactly* 6") as to layout. The pre-existing ceiling was out of level.

Wednesday (just prior to tiling) the contractor pointed out that with the height of the deco line we have, the top border would be "less than 4". I didn't have an issue with that, and they didn't point out any out of square issues, so I told them to go ahead. If they'd told me the ceiling was out of square, or the the line would be ~2", I'd have probably changed the layout.

So now I'm stuck - I can either live with this, or ask for a redo. The re-do will entail pulling out all tile and cement backer board - delay, and cost. I feel like this is one they should have alerted me to strongly, but I can anticipate their reaction - they tried to alert me, and I told them to go ahead anyway. They also mentioned that after grouting, it would be "less noticeable". Don't know how much to believe that.

So I ask the experts here - "what should I do?" I know that since things are new, every little detail is jumping out, but this seems like more than a little detail. What I'd like to do is tell them to rip it out and fix it, on their dime. Is that being unreasonable in this situation?

Comments (27)