tanya_waterman78

Instantaneous gas vs solar hot water

Tanya Waterman
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'd appreciate some input from Houzz users regarding choices when I replace my hot water system in the next twelve months. I currently have an elderly 120L electric off peak storage tank in a laundry alcove, which I will need to replace soon. I would like to use the space (in a laundry alcove off the kitchen) to rehouse the refrigerator when I remodel the kitchen. There is no piped gas in our town so I'd have to use bottles. I'm trying to find out the relative running costs and advantages/disadvantages of solar vs instantaneous gas. I'm also tossing up whether to install a gas cooktop in the new kitchen vs an induction model. If I convert to gas for the hot water, a gas cooktop would then make more sense. There would be gasfitting costs on top of the plumbing costs, obviously. The existing copper pipes are in the roof cavity so installation of a solar tank on the roof would be relatively easy in terms of marrying the old pipes to the new system, but there will need to be a crane brought in to get it on the roof because of the gutter height. If anyone out there has addressed similar problems recently I'd be most grateful to hear your feedback. Thanks in anticipation!

Comments (3)

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    6 years ago

I love instant gas hot water, Nothing better. What did you do in the end?

• Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Neryl, thanks for your input. Not a popular topic as you can see! I've decided to do the gas, even though I'll be operating from bottles. Still a little way off, just saving $$ before I start.
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Hi Tanya. I only just came across your post. Another option is to have an electric hot water heat exchange unit (installed outside) and induction cooktop. Do you currently have solar panels on your roof? If you did, then you could utilise the solar power generated to heat your water, during daylight hours of course, for showers, dishwasher and washing machine. I'm uncertain how much electricity it takes to run induction cooktop though. Probably for short periods it wouldn't be too bad. A great feature about induction is that it boils water and heats pans very quickly.

If you don't already have solar panels and you aren't considering it, then possibly the solar hot water unit suits your needs better. I would caution you to find out in advance how much it will cost to hire a crane and crane operator and whether it's by the hour, half day or full day. Usually they also charge a transport fee.

I think if you were to repost your query in Design Dilemna you would get a whole lot more people offering advice. I hope this helps.