katherine_ferguson17

Encaustic tiles in bathroom are feeling coarse underfoot.

The tiler didn't take any notice of the installation sheet I gave him regarding grout colour. He chose black grout because it looks best. It does look good, and he has laid the tiles well, but when he had finished he told us to wait a couple days until the grout dried, then clean. We tried everything to clean them, but they still looked dirty. As a last resort, my husband cleaned them one by one with hydrochloride acid, immediately rinsing off. They are now clean, but not as smooth as they were. We have sealed them, but they still feel chalky. Will they go smooth over time. My husband is searching the internet for a product to go over the top, to make them feel nicer.

Comments (8)

• Courtney Allan
    6 years ago

I don't think they'll go smooth because of the acid that was poured on them.

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 years ago

Any images?

katherine_ferguson17 thanked Cipriano Italian Home Design
  • katherine_ferguson17
    Original Author
    6 years ago

my husband is going to hand sand them with the sand paper in graduated sizes, if that makes sense. Then re seal. What are your thoughts?

• User
    6 years ago

I think you need to invest your efforts in re-sealing them asap. Given they are a concrete product, maybe research sealing products for polished concrete floors? The acid certainly would of etched them, but I'm sure you can find something to reseal them to protect from future breakdown and staining.

katherine_ferguson17 thanked User
  • katherine_ferguson17
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My husband, sanded them with a very fine paper, revealed them, and they are now beautiful.

• katherine_ferguson17
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That should read, re-sealed. Not revealed.☺️

• Souzette Lovell
    4 years ago

pays to trust your instincts:-)