fullrenov

Lounge help please - alcove

fullrenov
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

i will soon be renovatong my living on but I am stuck for ideas.

I am thinking of having an alcove and putting the tv up on the wall But I don’t know if this is a little dated. I was also thinking of maybe having some benching in one side of the alcove - again sounds good in theory but would the alcove look out of balance.

thanks Lisa x

Comments (16)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I'd say the bench looks nice, but it doesn't really serve any practical purpose does it.

If you were going to go with the bench, i'd put it window side, so that it could be a reading corner?

I'd re-instate the fireplace and then put storage units either side, which then gives you a focal point and practical storage.

The T.V is also too large for the size of the Alcove and needs to get scaled down a little so that it will fit in one of them. It would also be better suited to the opposite side ( the right ), so that you're not looking towards the window when looking at it, to cut down on glare.

• Related Discussions

Need help with my lounge

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Tammy first time user had trouble loading photos have since posted a couple
    ...See More

Lounge sofa problem

Q

Comments (1)
    Please post several pictures of the room so we can help you
    ...See More

Awkward lounge nook

Q

Comments (26)
    Well, for lack of a better idea, since you find it a drafty little space. I'm assuming the draft comes in on the right? Most of the necessities in the area are located of the left side; i.e. vent, thermostat, light switch etc. What I would do I think is caulk up the drafty spots, maybe even add sized poster board wrapped in batting I covered in a gorgeous fuscia with diagonal grosgrain ribbons every which way covered with a heavy velvet to be attached to the area above & below the window. (Of course remove the drapes that are hanging in there). This for the purpose of using it as a pin-it board for notes. Attach a table height board covered in felt to carry across the full width of the little room. Leaving just enough space for a comfortable little antique desk chair. Paint the back wall a bright cobalt blue, paint the ceiling a silvery pearlescent white. Find a way to attach a clip-on task lamp. And stretch a heavy duty enough wire across the top of the opening and complete it with a heavy doubled velvet drape with a drooping valance. Place a swag with fringe & jewels on it to be closed when not in use. Voila intrigue is yours!
    ...See More

Painting experts - Please help!

Q

Comments (1)
    The colour scheme and amount of paint coats you need depend on the paint brand and what you're trying to do.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

If you're using the Chimney and the fire, then it's not a good idea to wall mount the T.V on the Chimney Breast. There have been many instances of the insides of t.v's melting, and most manufacturers dissuade against it.

• chloeloves
    6 years ago
    We have to assume you are not reinstating a fireplace as you haven’t mentioned it, so I would position the tv on the chimney breast but please have the wires chased in! I wouldn’t bother with seating in alcove, as mentioned it looks too small to be comfy. I would instead have built in cupboards with shelves above as per MATH pictures, great for storage and displaying books or momentous to add character.
  • fullrenov
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your ideas - it’s given me a lot to think about. A couple of questions I had :

if I was to reinstate a fireplace - any suggestions where I could put the tv ?

Rose: you mentioned scaling down the chimney breast as an option to put the tv there. I don’t suppose you have any photos I can’t seem to visualize your idea but sounds interesting.

Thanks everyone.

X

• maya
    6 years ago
    Do shelving with storage underneath. Ditch the TV and get a short throw projector (Sony just released one).
  • rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Hi there, personally I wouldn’t re-instate the fireplace as it would leave you very little room for the tv and if you wall mount the tv above the fire it would be very uncomfortable for viewing not to mention the possible heat problems for the tv. There are special companies that can do very low fires with heat proofing and tv combos (see one of the pics below) but would cost £££££s. What I would do is build a long low cabinet the length of the wall which surrounds the chimney breast which can incorporate storage seat bench if you wish. Then possibly some floating shelves in the alcoves. Wall mount tv and chase wires through the chimney wall. If drilling big holes sounds a bit daunting then you could also build the chimney breast out slightly to create niches for tv and av equipment. Still planning on something similar ourselves, only we have a window in one alcove which makes things more awkward. I think what Rosie meant is that you can use the tv for a fire, I know Netflix had a continuous playback of a real fire complete with crackling sounds:) anyway here’s some pics and my plan.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

It looks like the right hand alcove is larger than the one by the window. The T.V should fit in there.

No you shouldn't put a T.V over a Fieplace, that's right. So, put it in the right hand Alcove and build cupboards and shelving. Plus, re-instate the fireplace, so that the T.V is not the focal point.

Very rough idea:___

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant Rachelmidlands. If there is no fire, I popped in the very more unusual idea of mounting the TV low and dress around that with mantel and mirror above it... not seen it done, but was a thought. After all, there are a lot that complain about achy necks if the tv is mounted too high, Mines 65" and starts 1.2m up the wall and our necks are fine, but that may be due to the size.
    MATH's layout above with the built in cupboards with a tv in the corner is the classic usual, which is tried an tested, but I would personally make the height of the units flow from the height of the window sill.
    Does the furniture have to face that way? I assume it's a square room with the picture taken from the door way at the corner. Could there be a couch in front of the window, and another on the wall to your left facing the chimney breast, with the tv flush wall mounted on the right, opposite the window? That would free up the the nuisance chimney breast wall to create anything you like, surface, seating, fireplace... The gadget boxes could be housed high up on the right alcove, and take the cabling up through the cieling and back down to the tv. Its not an easy solution I'm not very conformist :) ... the tv certainly wouldnt be the focal point then.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

OH Rose! You are in a pickle at home with your own stuff and you still find time to help others.........what a girl!!

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

Youre right, I should get off here and get my scruffs on, not be sitting here haha

• User
    6 years ago

At the moment there is no focal point in the room, and so the balance feels "off". The chimney breast is an obvious focal point, and so this should be your starting point, strengthening this view.

Symmetry is a great way to bring balance to a room and, although your alcoves are different sizes, dressing them in the same way will strengthen the sense of symmetry and build on the focal point.

Firstly, you need to decide whether you are installing a fireplace. If not, then you could easily create a faux fireplace, with a small alcove cut in and stack some logs, or if you don't want to cut into the wall, attach a light-weight mantlepiece to the chimney breast and put some candles in front of it. You could then mount the TV on the wall above the "fireplace". I would then suggest building cabinetry and shelving in the alcoves either side (as the Man About The House has suggested above) and make them identical. All of this will strengthen the focal point and bring balance to the room.

Hope that helps :)

Kate

www.TheHomeDesignSchool.com

• Emily
    6 years ago
    I like Maths idea of traditional and moving tv to other alcove and even if current tv is slightly too big I think it will be fine as it could be on an angle there and look okay and actually be better for viewing if like Rose said the seating is moved to the window wall and the wall opposite fireplace.
    Think it will be a lovely cosy room.
  • fullrenov
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi guys

Thanks for the imput and ideas it’s really helpful.

I do like the idea of symmetry and balancing the room out but I’m put off by the idea of installing a fire. I think it’s just due to the work involved that’s all.

I’ve taken additional photos from other sides of the room. I am thinking the settee (will be new one of course) will look better in front of the window. What do you think ?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks x

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

It looks a little tight to get a couch a little into the window recess, but if you can, that will free a lot of space walking in so I'd measure twice to get a good fit

• PRO
    Bell of Northampton
    6 years ago

If you're still considering what to do with your chimney breast, I would recommend taking a look at some electric fire alternatives; they are growing in popularity because many of them are designed to be safe for use underneath a TV and the installation process is relatively simple. Plus, the product is a much less expensive option! That way you can make a real feature out of this area.

We did an installation recently where we created a stud wall with a false log store at the base, inset electric fire in the middle, and TV above and then tiled the lot. (I've attached a picture - the flames can also be switched to orange.) The heat is fairly low output and projects downwards so is a safe alternative to gas or wood-burners for below a TV. You could then put the shelving and storage options into the alcoves as suggested by MATH.